Water Hammer Arrestors.

I was flipping channels and found the show "Ed The Plumber", the topic was water hammer. In the last few minutes of the show it showed him installing water hammer arrestors on the hot and cold water washing machine inlets. They looked like small blue globes.

I have a mild water hammer problem, and figure that I would shoot for the simplest solution.

(the last photo in article).

They look like they have a greater volume than the smaller ones I've seen. Anyone know where I can get these water hammer arrestors?

Thank you,

tom

Reply to
Tom The Great

If you have a water hammer problem try draining the system to get air back in it. What they use to do is stick a piece of pipe ( 8 to 10 inches) vertical with a cap this will trap air and work for shock absorber. They usually put a tee at the water supplies .Eventually the water will absorb the air that's the advantage of pre made one. But it might be sized for the fixture unites it has to handle.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

In may homes arrestors are built in, but they are designed in a way that over time they loose their ability to work. You can fix that good as new by turning off your water and draining the pipes by opening the lowest faucet (don't use the one on the hot water tank.) Let the water drain out and then close it back up and turn on the water. Let the water out of the pipes buy just cracking each faucet to let the air out. That may well take care of it for you.

The commercial ones like you are talking about work on the same principle, but often are designed in such a way that they are not subject to getting waterlogged.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

In one of my fluidics class we discussed how easy it is to make a water-hammer arrestor. Near the valve install a "T" with the leg pointed up. Attach a capped 10" pipe to the leg. This will cushion the hammer and extend the life of the valve.

Reply to
Phisherman

I don't know about those...I haven't looked at the picture, but I bought a couple at HD or Lowes or most likely Hechingers. They weren't more than 4 dollars 10 or 15 years ago, and were as long as my middle finger and as thick as my thumb, and they worked fine.

I put them on the back of my washing machine, because they had garden hose connections and it unnerved me to put them on the washing machine faucets, even though with the diaphragm inside each one, they would work sideways or even upside down until the diaphragms broke. But I didn't like them pointing sideways. On the washing machine they point up, so they'll work for a while even after the diaphragms break.

Reply to
mm

I've heard these dead legs loose their effeciency over time, to almost zero due to water logging. The air bubble disappears.

Now these are the examples I saw on tv,

I don't know if the installation is correct, since not feeling that romex connection that was installed is the best.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

That's why you use a screw-on cap/plug, and not a soldered one.

Reply to
Goedjn