WATER GOES SOLIDS DONT

MY AMERICAN STANDARD on a crawlspace flushes water fine but solids wont go down. put new flush parts in and cleaned holes under rim. snaked running water hose well down the tack and used closet auger on commode. what do you think? other toilet on same main drain works fine. tader

Reply to
Tater Salad

You might have a toothbrush in there. No kidding. A foreign object is the usual cause of this when it used to work.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Before they have you up on the roof snaking the vent , do the bucket test. Rapidly dump several buckets of water into the bowl. If they go right down with no sign of overflowing, forget the vent.

Does this AmStd bowl have a "siphon jet"? It would a

3/4" round orifice either at the front of the bowl or the rear, submerged under water.

If the jet doesn't function, the bowl won't produce an "energetic" flushing action to scrub solids down.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I bought a Am Standard toilet but didn't install is right away. About a year later I put it in and had similar problems. I set the toilet over the laundry tub and started experimenting. It flushed ok when I used a bucket of water. Howeveer, it would swirl and swirl when using the flush mechanism. I found a 2" piece of rubber hose in one of the front holes under the rim. After removing the blockage, it worked ok. I say just ok, because that model Am Std toilet isn't very good at flushing. Unfortunately, I have 3 of them. It looks like they quit making this model .... good.

Reply to
Art Todesco
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Last time this happened to me, some rotten little rugrat in the apartment had flushed the toilet paper holder spindle and it was up in the top of the trap. I knew there was something in there but didn't know what and couldn't get it out. Finally managed to hook it with a closet auger, but by that time I was almost ready to pull the toilet.

Always, usually, most of the time when liquids go and solids won't, something is caught in the trap and blocking the way.

Reply to
John~

Yup, that's what I said.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

try bucket of water on solids, if it flushes solids fine with bucket the interior passages of toilet are clogged.

ask and i will explain muriatic acid toilet treatment it really works.......

Reply to
hallerb

got her fixed.. there was a plastic toy in there... now of course my 4 year old granddaughter didnt do it... thanks for help. lucas

Reply to
Tater Salad