Water from AC runoff

My AC pumps the water into a drain in the basement through an exposed

3/8 tube. Would that water be harmful to pets?
Reply to
Metspitzer

Harmful to pets drinking it, that is. We have fixed a barricade to keep the pets from drinking the water. It doesn't seem like a good idea to let them drink it. We do keep out food and water, but we saw one dog drink from it.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Why would you risk it if you already have a solution in place?

I can't comment on the AC, but I did call the gas company about what was in the effluent from the high-efficiency gas furnace. No problem, it's safe. So, I can put it on my vegetable garden? Ummm....the backpedaling left skid marks on my phone.

Reply to
mike

Well the barricade is a little inconvenient since the drain is also the unfinished shower drain. The shower is so unfinished it doesn't even have a shower curtain, but it does have a door that locks and a window curtain.

I agree with you, though. Better safe.

I think next time I am at the hardware store I will get an elbow and turn the tube into the drain.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Would you drink it?

In seriousness, your idea of directing it directly into a drain is the best. Don't even use it for vegatable gardening.

Same with your dehumidifier water. Best saved for flowers or non food plants.

Reply to
Duesenberg

Unless there is some signifant polution in the air it's little more than rain water with a bit of house hold air contaments. At most it will have a bit of mold included with the water.

Reply to
NotMe

Would I drink it? No. Will it harm me? Probably not, but it may contain mold or other contaminants from sitting around, dust from the coils, etc. Drain pans can get pretty icky at times.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It all depends how clean the evaporator coil is. If mold and algae are growing in there, it may be some stuff in the water. If your AC coil is cleaned every few years, the water should be OK.

.

3/8 tube. Would that water be harmful to pets?
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The condensate from high efficiency furnace, supposed to have acids and products of combustion. I'd not want me or pets to drink that.

.

I can't comment on the AC, but I did call the gas company about what was in the effluent from the high-efficiency gas furnace. No problem, it's safe. So, I can put it on my vegetable garden? Ummm....the backpedaling left skid marks on my phone.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ah, yeah. A bit of mold. Like what sickened the American Legion meet in that big hotel?

.

Unless there is some signifant polution in the air it's little more than rain water with a bit of house hold air contaments. At most it will have a bit of mold included with the water.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It could possibly have some tin & lead in it from solder joints in the evaporator coil.

Reply to
Steve Kraus

On Sun, 06 May 2012 19:47:00 -0400, Metspitzer wrote Re Water from AC runoff:

I have collected and used the condensate from my home AC as drinking water water for my 2 dogs and 2 cats for 15 years and never had a problem. It provides a nice clean cool water source that doesn't have to be refilled by me.

Reply to
Vinny From NYC

That's closer to distilled water than anything else. I cant see where it would be harmful at all. It's just condensation from moisture in the air, which freezes to the coils, then melts off. I would not worry about it at all. Granted, it may contain a little dirt from the air flowing thru, but if you look at what pets eat when they are outdoors, especially dogs, that tiny amount of dirt wont harm them. I'd rather they drink that, then toilet water and what pet has not drank from the toilet.

As far as water from a high efficiency furnace, that's a different matter. I would not want a pet drinking that since it contains junk from combustion. Regardless what the gas company says, I'd not let pets drink that. But water from an AC is just moisture from the air and is safe. The same would be true from a dehumidifier, which operates the same way. It's also safe.

Reply to
tangerine3

If the evaporator, tray, and tubing are clean, the water should be fine for man or beast to drink. That said, few people clean their evaporators. Ever. So, without seeing your set up, it doesn't seem like a good idea to let them drink it.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Did a gas company ever say it's ok to drink condensate from their gas? Somehow I think not.

=A0But water from an AC is just moisture from the air and is

I guess you never looked in the bottom of a dehumidifier or AC. They are never cleaned and accumulate years of dirt, bacteria or mold. AC drains get clogged by algae or bacteria causing them to overflow. You'd have to be an idiot to give that to a pet as a source of drinking water. Are they automatically going to get sick if they drink it? No. But neither are they sure to die if you let them run around outside and cross the street.

Reply to
trader4

OP could buy a condensate pump and send the water to say a washtub or other convenient location. these pumps arentn expensive and no more lines laying n the floor as a trip hazard

Reply to
bob haller

If you have what sickened the Legion's DX you've a lot more problems than you'll get from drinking the water.

An interesting article. Some comments are on target as always others are way out there. I'd go for the direct compression of the atmosphere as you'd get water and a source of power (not very efficient but waste power otherwise)

NotMe

As a list of things not wanted ... yes.

Reply to
NotMe

I know our cats drink it. One that died a couple of years ago lived to be 18 years.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Well there you go. I am not letting my pets drink it. It is deadly :)

Reply to
Metspitzer