Water from AC runoff

Page 1 of 2
My AC pumps the water into a drain in the basement through an exposed 3/8 tube. Would that water be harmful to pets?

Harmful to pets drinking it, that is. We have fixed a barricade to keep the pets from drinking the water. It doesn't seem like a good idea to let them drink it. We do keep out food and water, but we saw one dog drink from it.
On 5/6/2012 5:19 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

Why would you risk it if you already have a solution in place?
I can't comment on the AC, but I did call the gas company about what was in the effluent from the high-efficiency gas furnace. No problem, it's safe. So, I can put it on my vegetable garden? Ummm....the backpedaling left skid marks on my phone.

Well the barricade is a little inconvenient since the drain is also the unfinished shower drain. The shower is so unfinished it doesn't even have a shower curtain, but it does have a door that locks and a window curtain.
I agree with you, though. Better safe.
I think next time I am at the hardware store I will get an elbow and turn the tube into the drain.

The condensate from high efficiency furnace, supposed to have acids and products of combustion. I'd not want me or pets to drink that.
I can't comment on the AC, but I did call the gas company about what was in the effluent from the high-efficiency gas furnace. No problem, it's safe. So, I can put it on my vegetable garden? Ummm....the backpedaling left skid marks on my phone.
If the evaporator, tray, and tubing are clean, the water should be fine for man or beast to drink. That said, few people clean their evaporators. Ever. So, without seeing your set up, it doesn't seem like a good idea to let them drink it.
Harmful to pets drinking it, that is. We have fixed a barricade to keep the pets from drinking the water. It doesn't seem like a good idea to let them drink it. We do keep out food and water, but we saw one dog drink from it.
OP could buy a condensate pump and send the water to say a washtub or other convenient location. these pumps arentn expensive and no more lines laying n the floor as a trip hazard
On 5/6/2012 7:47 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

Would you drink it?
In seriousness, your idea of directing it directly into a drain is the best. Don't even use it for vegatable gardening.
Same with your dehumidifier water. Best saved for flowers or non food plants.

Unless there is some signifant polution in the air it's little more than rain water with a bit of house hold air contaments. At most it will have a bit of mold included with the water.
Ah, yeah. A bit of mold. Like what sickened the American Legion meet in that big hotel?
Unless there is some signifant polution in the air it's little more than rain water with a bit of house hold air contaments. At most it will have a bit of mold included with the water.

If you have what sickened the Legion's DX you've a lot more problems than you'll get from drinking the water.
An interesting article. Some comments are on target as always others are way out there. I'd go for the direct compression of the atmosphere as you'd get water and a source of power (not very efficient but waste power otherwise)
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/04/30/breakthrough-wind-turbine-produces-drinking-water/?utm_source=Raw+Story+Daily+Update&utm_campaign c8d46696-4_30_124_30_2012&utm_medium=email

As a list of things not wanted ... yes.

Legionairre's disease is inhaled, right? Any mold or whatever that one drinks will be acid-washed and killed by your digestive system.
Plus I doubt you'd have any mold in that water unless you have other mold in the basement where the AC is. When AC is running, it runs quite a bit and flushes itself.
The water is distilled water, with a little of whatever is in the air. The air that circulates though an AC is the same air everyone in the house, including the dogs, breath. If it doesn't harm your lungs, it surely won't harm your digestive track.

Most homes do have mold. It may not be visible, it may not be growing, but it is there. Unless that Ac is running all the time, water sits in the pan for some length of time and collects dust and whatever blows over the coil. Dust, skin, dander, pollen, whatever.

Your nose helps filter the air as you breath. The drip pan is concentrating all that crap and steeping it in the water. How much, if any, it truly harms you is subject to what is there. In any case, I don't find it appealing at all.
If I was locked in a room with that AC for days, I'd drink it before the option of dying, but given a choice, I can think of many other higher rated places to fill my cup.

An examination that could be done by any professional person armed with Petri dishes, swabs, et al, would reveal a very wide range of molds, bacteria and even disease. Bread molds when someone leaves the bag open for a short time. Mold is so common, it is unreal, but since it isn't visible, most people think they live in some bubble somewhere.
The nastiest place in anyone's house is the kitchen sink, followed by bathrooms. Buy a good UV flashlight, and have a look around in the dark. It's scary.
Steve

Would I drink it? No. Will it harm me? Probably not, but it may contain mold or other contaminants from sitting around, dust from the coils, etc. Drain pans can get pretty icky at times.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It could possibly have some tin & lead in it from solder joints in the evaporator coil.
It all depends how clean the evaporator coil is. If mold and algae are growing in there, it may be some stuff in the water. If your AC coil is cleaned every few years, the water should be OK.
My AC pumps the water into a drain in the basement through an exposed 3/8 tube. Would that water be harmful to pets?
wrote Re Water from AC runoff:

I have collected and used the condensate from my home AC as drinking water water for my 2 dogs and 2 cats for 15 years and never had a problem. It provides a nice clean cool water source that doesn't have to be refilled by me.

That's closer to distilled water than anything else. I cant see where it would be harmful at all. It's just condensation from moisture in the air, which freezes to the coils, then melts off. I would not worry about it at all. Granted, it may contain a little dirt from the air flowing thru, but if you look at what pets eat when they are outdoors, especially dogs, that tiny amount of dirt wont harm them. I'd rather they drink that, then toilet water and what pet has not drank from the toilet.
As far as water from a high efficiency furnace, that's a different matter. I would not want a pet drinking that since it contains junk from combustion. Regardless what the gas company says, I'd not let pets drink that. But water from an AC is just moisture from the air and is safe. The same would be true from a dehumidifier, which operates the same way. It's also safe.