Water Flow Regulator

I'm looking for a Water Flow Regulator.
I have a Well that has 1 1/2" Pipe and I want to feed a Tank. Though the Well has become erratic in its water supply and I can easily pump the well dry. I was thinking of waiting till I >need< a new Pump to replace the 1HP pump with a 1/2 HP pump. So in the mean time I want to limit the Flow from the Pump a bit so I don't pump as much from it.
I think it currently puts out 5-10 GPM. I would like to just limit it to 5GPM. I've seen these : http://www.plumbingsupply.com/flowregulators.html though it would be nice to see some Specs on them.
With my 1 1/2" pipe I would hate to have to shrink it down to 3/4" to get a reasonable price unit for 5GPM.
Any other Suggestions?
Thanks, Scott<-
Scott Townsend wrote:

Constricting the pump output is a bad idea. What happens will depend on the specifics of the pump but it won't be beneficial.
You could install a bypass around the pump but that's wasteful to boot.
May have to live with controlling the cycle time of the pump, but watch out for too-frequent starting.
Jim
Speedy Jim wrote:

Get a "Pumpsaver" (Symcom) or equivalent. Set the restart time so that you run about 50% of the time after you have been pumping for a while. The only down side is that it might be a much longer time before you a new pump.
As for "flow regulators", didn't we used to call them "valves"?
On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 17:51:09 -0700, "Scott Townsend"

Just restrict the flow so it never runs dry. Running dry is more harmful than restricting the flow.
What is the best way to restrict the Flow?
Thanks, Scott<-

Scott Townsend wrote:

Bypass some of the water back to the well instead sending it all to the tank. Adjusting a ball valve on the bypass regulates flow from the tee. This is easier on the pump then a restriction in the pump output.
Mark M.

I use the pumptec
http://www.franklin-electric.com/Prod_text/item8.htm