Water flow - more through 45 elbows than 90 elbows?

Page 2 of 2

On Feb 11, 8:20 am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

But the OP said 2-90's or two 45's
Add pictures here
✖

Yes, I missed that he was considering two 90's, because in many cases you would use one 90 or two 45s to achieve the same direction change. So re-doing the math, he's save about 6 ft equivalent of pipe. Which means all other things being equal, I'd use the two 45's.
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 10, 7:35 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

If 45's are less restrictive than 90's, then the smooth curves of Pex must be even better.
Add pictures here
✖
Zootal wrote:

The more bend, the more velocity loss which is perceived as low pressure when a faucet is open. It is beneficial to minimize the amount of bends in a run of pipe. If a large number can not be avoided, stepping up to the next larger pipe size will help compensate for the restrictions.
Add pictures here
✖
---
Add pictures here
✖

Common sense would be that two 45s are better than two 90s. But if they area only to feed a shower head, I don't think even the pickiest person would be able to tell the difference.
Add pictures here
✖
Zootal wrote:

Use flex pipe if you want to snake.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 18:14:08 -0600, Zootal

There are several factors that help or hinder water flow. The area of study is called "fluidics" and often taught in mechanical engineering courses. For home plumbing, it probably doesn't matter if you use 45 or 90 degree elbows. I prefer the 90-degree bend and only use the 45-degree elbow if required.
Add pictures here
✖
Long radius 90 have less resistance, though I'm not sure if they are made.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

SM-
They are still made (long sweep copper tube elbows) & are available (at a minimum) at McMaster.
When I wonder if something is "available", I use McMaster as an "existence check". If McMaster has it, it's got to be available elsewhere as well, probably for less. If I'm in a hurry or dont want to research another source, I buy it from McMaster.
Pay with a CC and purchase before noon, I can have it before end of business that day or early the next day.
I used to say......... "if it ain't in the McMaster catalog, it probably doesn't exist and you probably don't need it anyway."
cheers Bob
Add pictures here
✖
Thank you for your kind wisdom. Isn't that like Ralphs Pretty Good Grocery. I heard that on Prarie Home Companion, years ago. I seldom listen to NPR (National Liberal Radio). But it was on, the one time I was visiting my Dad.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

When are you going to fix your newsreader configuration so it puts your sig at the bottom where it belongs?
Add pictures here
✖
In typed:

As long as the end-of-the-line is short in distance and smaller in diameter than the source up to that point, it's always going to be fine unless something odd comes into play. And especially if you leave the lo-flow restrictor in place - heck, you could probably feed that with 1/4" pipe<G>! Personally, first thing I do with a shower is remove the restrictor especially if it's one of the temperature-monitoring non-scald types, which is about all you can buy today. I love that constant temp setting; let them flush the toilet and run the washer; all I see is a difference in water pressure but no temp changes of more than barely noticeable.
HTH,
Twayne
Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.
✖