Water Filters

Can someone give me info on home water filters? I need one big enough for the kitchen sink and ice cube maker. I was thinking of a reverse system then I read that I shouldn't use it. I have well water. Please answer either here or off list. Thanks much.
That should read "reverse osmosis system" .

"Jack Allen" <> wrote in message

Most icemakers recommend against RO systems as they drop the pressure and can create problems with the fill vales working properly.
What you want is a whole house style filter with a carbon block element to eliminate bad taste. It is best if you can mount it in the cold water line that feeds the kitchen and refrigerator. The elements are good for about three months depending on use and how bad your water is.
Most brands are easily installed with minimal cutting and no soldering.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

To avoid constant filter changes go for the largest size you can install, cartridges come from very small at about 1 1/2 x 8 inches up to 4 1/2 x 20 inches. If you have a basement, install it there, that way water spillage resulting from changing filters will not damage your kitchen cabinets.
Jack Allen wrote:

The St. Pete Times just ran an article to answer your question. In general terms, the article suggests you first find out what is in your water and decide what it is you wish to filter out of your water.
http://www.tampabay.com/features/consumer/article443855.ece
I worry more about running out of the stuff :o)

You need to know the quality of the water that you are going to pass through the filter before you can accurately determine what filter you will need. Send a sample of your water out to a water testing lab.
--
Ron P

If we are what we eat then: I\'m fast,

For the icemaker there are easily installed in-line charcoal cartridges that last a couple of years. You will need a separate unit for the sink unless, of course, you plan on filtering for the entire house which requires a whole different animal with which I am not familiar. A fat lot of help I am!

Separate or not depends on the plumbing layout and where the refrigerator tap is.
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Water-Filters-298316-.htm tmichunter wrote: Hello Jack,
Please visit www.crystalquest.com, specifically the undersink models. We have a refrigerater hook up part that can be added to the undersink models to also filter the frig. Please give us a call if you have any questions. Thank you, Tammy
Jack Allen wrote:

On 2/21/2011 3:49 PM, tmichunter wrote:

Tammy! You are going to make my head explode! Six minutes ago you were in the year 2004! It took you only 6 minutes to get to April 6, 2008! Please share your technology with us. (I am actually in the year 2001 but don't tell anyone, I think it has to do with the computer chip in my brain. Oh, by the way, home owners hub sucks. Get out while you can. Remember the secret word "Usenet".
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Water-Filters-298316-.htm tmichunter wrote: By the way, you are correct to choose something other than reverse osmosis. This should be a last resort. Tammy
Jack Allen wrote: