Water filter systems

Hi everyone, I am about to replace a hot water take in an old house we are renovating. at the same time, I thought I might as well add a system that removes iron, and a water softener.. now, I have no clue, so I turn to you all.... do I set the system up so that it come in to the house, then to the iron remover thingie (high tech term, I know. lol) then to the softener, then to the hot water tank... or what? does the hot water have to be filtered through this system at all? HELP!! This is driving me nuts! Thanks in advance! Tracey

Reply to
Stan & Tracey

buffalobill

First thing you should do is take a sample to a water testing lab, so you know what's in it.

In any case, I believe the order of operations is: Well-head

-> Pressure tank

-> Sediment filter

-> Ph-Balance

-> Iron-Removal

Reply to
Goedjn

Had one of these systems professionally installed as follows:

well head

-> pressure tank

->Iron/sulphur-removal (carbon media filter)

->water softener

The whole house, including hot water tank was on this except for a single outdoor hose bib.

With the iron removal system, one thing that had to be added after running it for a year: a peroxide treatment tank. This would hold about 25 gallons of hydrogen peroxide and water and the carbon filter would sip from it as it backflushed every night to kill any bacteria. Apparently, there are bacteria that love iron and had formed a mat over the carbon thus negating the filter's action. Anyway, this had to be filled with 8 gallons of 7% peroxide and filled the rest of the way with water about once every 3 or 4 months.

You will want all of the house water to be filtered in this way, since hard water can damage your hot water tank, especially if it contains sulphur and iron. I agree with Goedjn's comment that you should have a sample tested first before jumping into this. The total system isn't usually very cheap and will require regular purchases of salt and hydrogen peroxide (some systems use chlorine bleach for this instead).

Reply to
louie

Reply to
Stan & Tracey