water filter housing stuck

Just purchased a house and tried to change the water filter. I can't budge it and I'm afraid I'm going to break a pipe or pull the support out of the wall (it's that tight). Please tell me there's a way to get this thing off without having to call a plumber. It's thanksgiving weekend.
It's a big blue 10" filter system.

Oil filter wrench?

First step is to turn off the water. Second step is to open a water valve to let off the pressure. Now it will come off easily. Put a little Vaseline or white grease on the gasket to help it come off the next time.
It is very important to relieve the pressure. Just like opening a jar of pickles, if you break the seal, it turns easily. If not, you can actually damage the housing.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Edwin - Thanks very much. I have relieved the pressure by pushing the red pressure release button on top. Do I need to do more? It doesn't budge at all.

It may have been tightened too much.
I once (after many times replacing the carbon cartridge in past) tightened the housing too tightly. Mine has ribs on the plastic housing casing. I used (carefully) a pipe wrench as the spacing was very wide and the casing large as well and no other wrench I had would open that wide.
It did move enough to get the housing loose. I have been careful ever since to not tighten too much.
Good luck.
Morenuf
--
snipped-for-privacy@nobodyhome.com.invalid

It is like a big box wrench with recesses to fit all the ribs.
Have one person hold the pipes to keep them in place, and then just put your weight into the wrench. And make sure you are turning it the right direction.
Finally got it using a bit of each of your advice. In the end a strap wrench along with a neighbors help got it off.
Lesson learned. Hand tighten only.
Thanks very much to all who replied.
replying to paul.magnani, Susan B. wrote: I also found the casing was stuck and did not realize (until your post) that there was a button to push to release pressure! Doing that made it possible to remove mine! So glad for your post - thank you!
On Saturday, August 20, 2016 at 10:14:05 PM UTC-5, Susan B. wrote:

Susan, Paul had 3 posts in 2006...so he can't appreciate your thanks. Good for you though! (I won't bore you concerning his dead gerbils)