Water filter for whole house humidifier

I use an AprilAire whole house humidifier and have a huge dust problem in winter from the minerals in the water. Can anyone recommend the best type water filter unit and cartridge to put into the water line to the humidifier?

Thanks,

Ed S.

Reply to
edspyhill01

Do you have a water softener in your home

Reply to
ransley

Are you making the mistake of using softened water to the humidifier? Softened water does not usually remove the dust problem and can make it worse.

Are you sure the problem is coming from the water/humidifier?

Reply to
jmeehan

No. Water comes in straight from the municipal water suppy - Central Bucks, PA.

Reply to
edspyhill01

The AprilAire uses a simple evaporation pad/element with redirected plenum air. I don't have a water softener. I did a search of the archives here and the concensus was to use point of use filters instead of point of entry. I'm thinking a filter that filters out "sediment" or the stuff that becomes sediment. I run the A/C the rest of the year and don't have an excess dust problem during A/C use.

Ed S.

Reply to
edspyhill01

Ed-

What model you have?

Depending on your water chemistry you might have hard water problem (disolved minerals).

I'm pretty sure that a "filter" won't help you.

I thinking you need some sort of RO system or a demineralization cartridge (they somehow magically scavenge the minerals but will need to be replaced based on water hardness & water usage)

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Ed-

Sorry, I didn't read you post carefully enough. If you have a truly evaporative humidifier then I'm stumped about the source of the dust.

My experience with humidifier dust is with ultrasonic type...they atomize the water rather than evaporating it, thus sending out tiny droplets of mineralized water.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Ed S.

*************************************

A filter will take out any sediment, but the real problem is the dissolved solids in the water that remain behind when it evaporates. You need a softener or RO system to take them out.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yea, I agree. I have one of their "pad" humidifiers (I don't think they make a "spray" type. After use there is a fair amount of dusty deposits on the pad. I suggest that the OP may want to replace their pads more often and that might help. I replace mine once a year. They don't do too bad, because the over supply the water needed and drain out the excess so it does not cause as much of a problem. In my case I don't have a problem beyond the humidifier area.

A second thought would be to increase the amount of water delivered so more drains out. That could prevent the problem as well.

Reply to
jmeehan

Thank you to all for your replies.

Reply to