water dripping from exhaust fan...

I am in upstate NY and have maybe an inch of snow on the roof. Some water is dripping from a bathroom exhaust fan. Not a whole lot, but some. I expect it is inadequate flashing on the vent, but I know the roofer will blame it on condensation, and it just might be. Any great way to tell the difference?

Two years ago water was coming in from improper flashing on the chimney when it rained hard. The roof said it was due to moisture from the bathroom 40' away condensing. He eventually repaired the flashing and paid for the ceiling repair. Haven't had "condensation" since. This problem is not quite so obvious.

The roof is 7 years old with a 10 year warranty. When I complained about the chimney flashing he told me he didn't care about the warranty; leaks happen and he is not responsible. It took a while to convince him the warranty was a legal document. The pity was that until then I was pretty happy with his work. Oh well.

Reply to
Toller

Go up in the attic and see? If water isn't evident on the exterior of the ventpipe, then it isn't the flashing. Tom

Reply to
tom

if you decide to giant tarp the roof you have to leave holes for pipes and chimneys.

flat roof? a flat rubber roof may want a latex coating each 5 years.

low spot where puddle freezes on flat roof and caused roof damage?

got trees? gutters will block with leaves or ice that will back up and sneak water above your edge flashing and into the house. what did you notice when you cleaned the gutters each year?

got gutters that drip on the ends? may be time to fix roof and gutters must be removed and repitched and replaced to deliver toward downspout as required in your area.

maybe you have downspouts into the sewers or wherever you send the water that will clog or break at the trap located under house or under ground causing gutter backup problems at roof.

is bathroom in-wall exhaust fan exhausting directly thru wall? its flashing no good or needed recaulking?

some warranties might be worth more printed on tarpaper.

see also the company we hired for our roofs:

buffalobill