water dripping

there's water dripping into my garage. My sons bathroom is right above it.The is no sign of a leak upstairs. I suspect the shower faucets because I have already replaced the stems in them. Is there something INside of the wall that could be leaking? When I replaced the stems the leak showed around the handles and wouldn't turn off completely. Now I just see it leaking thought the insulation in the garage ceiling which is really just the floor to the upstairs. The pipes are mostly accessible and visible. I have a lazy husband so I have to fix this myself. I don't know where to look first. TIA for any advice. Kathy

Reply to
Kathy

Yes, it can run down the pipes, it can be a bad joint. How about the drain? Does the leak drip all the time or just for a while after a shower?

That's where I would start. Measure out fromthe wall to the leak and do the same upstairs. While water can run a little horizontal, that will give you a good starting point

My condolences. Does the lazy SOB realize that you house can be ruined by a leak? That his investment is going to hell? Sorry, I can't imagine living with someone like that. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

At first I though it was only leaking when he used the shower so I checked the caulk around the tub-surround and it was good so I kept a closer eye on it and I've decided that it leaks all the time.

It is definatly coming down from between the wall of the bathroom and his bedroom. I guess I'll make him empty his closet so I can look in the acess panal behind the shower wall.

It's not so bad. He's just not a handy person. He grew up as a renter- just called the landlord to fix things. Plus I'm around the house alot more than him so I notice the trouble first. I've been married to him for almost 20 years so I guess I'm used to it.

Reply to
Kathy

Since you just had the faucets apart, suspect that the escutcheons may not be sealed to the wall. In that case, water running down the wall (while showering) will get inside the wall. Depending on the situation, either the faucet body (casting) has to be sealed to wall or the escutcheon itself be sealed to the wall.

But give the access panel a look-see.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I did that a couple years ago.

Reply to
Kathy

Check there first anyway. They may have loosened or if an older faucet stem, the packing nut may be loose from a failure to tighten or just normal use. This would cause a leak where the stem comes out of the seat. This can produce a good sized leak while the faucet is open and being used. Water can lay on a flat surface and drip for quite some time after the actual leak occurred.

Reply to
Colbyt