Water drain Roof vent?

I own a town house and have a small drain (for laundry) located in a first floor utility room. I am trying to vent my dryer and noticed (while opening the drywall up to see what I had) the drain has a vent that goes to the roof (two stories). Its plastic probably about four-six inches in diameter. Is this for sewer gases or something? Is that why it goes to the roof? No other drains are hooked up to it,-- unless underneath they all flow into one-- and that is the vent?? I didnt want to run a seperate vent for the dryer but it looks that way huh?
well, I found out not to vent the dryer to that pipe. however, I as i said before the washing machine is piped directly to that drain. is that allright? also should it be a direct connection?
The washing machine discharge should be connected to that pipe. I'm not sure what you mean by directly. There must be a "trap".
I have one of these http://www.oatey.com/quadtro.html that the hose hangs on then there is a standard trap below...
See how it was installed http://www.peppel.com/newhouse/index0005.html Scroll to dscn0093_75.jpg
See the trap, near the floor, then the vent going out the roof.

Yup. Stack pipe.
http://www.hometime.com/Howto/projects/plumbing/plum_1.htm#waste

You should find other connections to it somwhere along the line. It'd be odd to have a stack pipe for just one drain.

Yeah--I can't imagine venting hot moist dryer exhaust into the stack pipe would be a good thing. If I were a betting man I'd say it'd be a big steaming code violation, and possibly a fire hazard to the dryer as well.
-- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /
Stinger wrote:

Yea it is for sewer gas. You don't want to vent anything else into it.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit