Water dispersal gutters?

I thought there was something akin to a gutter, but not with a trough for water, that would disperse water as it came down the roof to the edge. Obviously it would not catch any rain water but simply disperse it out over the roof edge. Does something like this exist?

I was thinking that in order to eliminate gutters clogged with ice in winter months if I could just allow the water from melting snow to just disperse out over the edge of the roof to the ground below.

If nothing like this exists or if it just wouldn't work then......never mind (or...fugedaboutit).

Thanks, Walter

Reply to
Walter Cohen

"Walter Cohen" wrote in news:Xb7_c.4041$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net:

They exist, but I can't remember the name. The marketing gimmick is that they don't get clogged with leaves and such. They're designed to break up the water so that it sprinkles down and doesn't erode the ground below like a stream of water would.

In my opinion, they aren't well suited for many applications. In my case, I need to get water away from the foundation, so I don't end up with it in my basement. I need gutters, downspouts and long extensions to do that. The product you're thinking of still allows the water to fall near the house, and wouldn't work for me.

Reply to
David W.

Rainhandler

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Kind of expensive isn't it? About $20 a foot for materials.

Reply to
HRL

You misread the price but even if it was $20.ft, so what? Why tell me? The OP wanted a name and I gave it to him...up to him to decide if he wants to buy.

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

In a previous posting, Usenet was endowed with the following text from "Walter Cohen" :

The product you thinking about is crap. After you buy them, realize they are crap, remove them and install real rain gutters, you will have spent

4 times as much money as you should have.

Just do the right thing. Install rain gutters and route the water where it will do the least harm.

Mike

Reply to
Micro Angelo

Whoops, I did say it wrong. That's $20 each (for 5 feet = $4 a foot). And I just asked a question. And thought he would like to know.

Quite a wide variation in prices:

HRL

You missed the point. I have ice buildup/dams in winter and am looking for a way to cut down or eliminate it from occurring. My gutters work fine when there isn't ice in them.

Walter

Reply to
Walter Cohen

No real good solutions for an existing roof- it almost has to be built into the roof design. Some people put zig-zags of heat tape up there, but that is of course expensive to feed, and can actually make damming situation worse unless you leave it running till roof is dry. Any way to stop heat leakage from house that melts the snow at overhang? If you can keep the roof deck cold, that may be enough to keep ice down. Or do you get enough sunlight in winter that it heats itself? Is your roof due for an upgrade anytime soon? Definitely want a couple rows of that sticky membrane stuff along the bottom, if you don't have them already. If problem is real bad, you may want to consider a standing seam roof, and least for the faces where the snow builds up. Snow slides right off those puppies, to the extent you have to put peak things above doors to avoid people being hit by mini-avalanches. Maybe, once rainy season is over, you could tuck a strip of flashing under first row of shingles in the problem areas, and sort of plate over the gutter? Not sure how you would fasten it w/o damaging roof, however.

Winters have been ultra-mild around here for the last decade or so, but when I furst moved up here, everyone had roof rakes, and used them. Fine on a

6-12 ranch roof, but not real practical on a 2-story colonial. More than 6" of snow, figure on spending an hour raking before the next storm. Usually didn't need to do whole roof, just the little pockets (like on an L-shaped roof) where the drifts built up. Up in Norway, they build roofs like upside-down ships, with the pointy end into prevailing wind.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers