Water Damage Ins Adjuster / Claim

Greetings all.. Let me give you the lowdown. Last Friday came home (Live in Northwest IL) and it was raining cats and dogs. Walked into my kitchen looking out the window thinking it was really coming down, then I noticed it was really coming down "IN MY HOUSE" in and around the window frame. After I was able to mop up the mess after the rain had stopped I was able to see I had water damage on my ceiling as well as the walls themselves, under and around my counter/Sink and the walls felt like Mush. Saturday I was able to get up on my roof and found out that a "HORNETS" nest had grown in my Downspout from our gutters out of site. This blocked the drainege and the water got up in the roofing under the shingles.
While walking on my roof, I almost fell through around a soft spot that was not there previously.
I clean my gutters twice a year, spring as well as fall to prevent problems with runoff/Icing.
Called my insurance company (USAA) who are sending a adjuster to look at the mess. They guy on the phone says that the roof problem might not be related, and might be a 2nd claim???
What do I do to prepare for the adjuster to get this done right? Any info is appreciated.
Thanks! Darrell Crone
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Get out your policy and read specifically what perils are covered and what losses are excluded. Depending on your state and the wording of your policy, it's entirely possible one or both problems will be partly or completely excluded. An unfortunate side-effect of "black mold" hysteria has been much narrower coverage for many kinds of water damage, so that many things that would certainly have been covered by insurance ten years ago are now specifically excluded.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/

The damage is already done, and that's what the adjuster will be there to see. You might make a list of everything you've seen, and also what you can't see, just so you don't forget anything. My one experience with a claim like that proved the adjuster to be very adept. The payoff was very, very close to the actual cost of repairs ... within just a dollar or so on almost 3K of damage.
I doubt that his remark about multiple claims means much to you other than an extra signature somewhere. He's probably thinking the cause of the roof damage is separate and distinct from the bee damage, and that shouldn't imply that either claim is invalid, but only that they'll account for them differently. These people settle claims all day, every day, and I doubt that you'll have any problem as long as you don't try to kid them about the cost of things. Don't hesitate to point out ALL the damage that you see, but otherwise don't talk too much.
Good luck with it.
Keith

2 claims means 2 deductibles, and 2 dings on your house report the next time insurance renewal time comes up.
Darrell Crone writes:

Home insurance generally only covers sudden damage, which this isn't. The theory is you had time to notice the insect problem and do something about it.
Sounds like problems with builder/installers/materials.
No way a blocked downspout should send water through roof deck, installed any way I can conceive of. Most especially as you describe.
Look at weakened roof decking from below. Is it wet, or deteriorated from having been wet? Pursue the source and responsible party.
If the materials are simply defective, check for class-action suits on record.
Roof leaks are often very difficult to trace to the source, but it can be done. Else, they will be back.
HTH, J

What you might need to have an insurable claim is a missing, torn, disrupted shingle. Inside water damage usually has to be associated with a roofing defect. Check your policy to find out exactly what it takes to cover your damage--the adjuster is not gong to do anything that favors you. If you look hard enough you should find a damaged shingle that is the cause of your problem(s). MLD
Well after going up on the roof I think I found the section that was the probelm as I almost fell through the roof. The tiles are all intact etc.. but I almost fell through a soft spot that was not there before. I have the Adjuster coming over tomorrow, will update after.. Thanks! Darrell