Water condensation on a/c vents

I am getting water condensation on some of my a/c vents to the point the drops sometimes drip on the floor. Some of the vents are getting a bit of black mildew, too. I'm in Houston, where it's still hot and humid as hell. Is this what's causing the problem. If so, anything I can do about it, short of buying a new a/c unit (the one I have is getting old). Thanks in advance for your help.

This is Turtle.
This sounds like two different type problems and can be a combination of both.
1) Lack of air flow. Dirty filter, Plugged up evaperator coil, fan speed set too low, too small of duct work for the tonage of cooling, too many discharge registers cut off to each room , or too small of return air filter grill.
2) the insulation in the receiver box is breaking down where the discharge register blows the air out is breaking down or coming loose. It also could be the insulation of the flex duct or the sheet metal duct where it attaches is loose or breaking down. The problem is a insulation problem in this area.
Most of the time it is #1 and about 5% of the time it is #2 .
TURTLE
am getting water condensation on some of my a/c vents to the point the drops <BR>&gt;sometimes drip on the floor.&nbsp; Some of the vents are getting a bit of black <BR>&gt;mildew, too. I'm in Houston, where it's still hot and humid as hell. Is this <BR>&gt;what's causing the problem.&nbsp; If so, anything I can do about it, short of buying <BR>&gt;a new a/c unit (the one I have is getting old). Thanks in advance for your <BR>&gt;help.<BR><BR>This is Turtle.<BR><BR>This sounds like two different type problems and can be a combination of both.<BR><BR>1)&nbsp;&nbsp; Lack of air flow. Dirty filter, Plugged up evaperator coil, fan speed set <BR>too low, too small of duct work for the tonage of cooling, too many discharge <BR>registers cut off to each room , or too small of return air filter grill.<BR><BR>2)&nbsp;&nbsp; the insulation in the receiver box is breaking down where the discharge <BR>register blows the air out is breaking down or coming loose. It also could be <BR>the insulation of the flex duct or the sheet metal duct where it attaches is <BR>loose or breaking down. The problem is a insulation problem in this area.<BR><BR>Most of the time it is #1 and about 5% of the time it is #2 .<BR><BR>TURTLE </DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I agree with Turtle.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hot air could also be leaking around the grill box from the attic.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><BR><FONT face=Arial size=2>Rob Kulp</FONT><BR></DIV></BODY></HTML> ------=