Water coming in through chimney cleanout.

We have had an ongoing problem with rainwater coming in our chimney and out the cleanout. I'm not talking a little bit of water.... One night we filled a ten gallon shop vac! It only happens when we get heavy rain combined with heavy wind, which leads me to believe that it's not groundwater, or else we would see it coming in regardless of the wind. We have had our chimney cap upgraded, and our flashing around the chimney fixed up and upgraded... Still seeing water. What else could it be?!
Getting a little desperate as there seems to be no stopping it and it's ruining my basement!
On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 11:44:06 AM UTC-4, Fireball wrote:

i woulld get someone else to take a 2nd look at the roof, chimney, cap etc, etc.
get this done BEFORE WINTER. me and my family nearly died from co2 poisining . the chimney cap had cracks, rain water got in and broke the chimney liner blocking the flue....... liner broke, fell in and blocked the flue..
we all got sick, fortunately a buddy of mine stopped, got ill and recognized what was going on
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 16 Aug 2015 11:07:55 -0700 (PDT), bob haller

Wow. It's good to have friends.
You thought you had the flu, right? Not the flue.
replying to bob haller, vinny wrote: It sounds like the water is coming up from under the chimney.
On Thu, 19 May 2016 16:44:02 +0000, vinny

What sounds like that? When did Bob write? What did he say? Ever hear of copy and paste?
On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 5:26:02 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:

i woulld get someone else to take a 2nd look at the roof, chimney, cap etc, etc.
get this done BEFORE WINTER. me and my family nearly died from co2 poisining . the chimney cap had cracks, rain water got in and broke the chimney liner blocking the flue....... liner broke, fell in and blocked the flue..
we all got sick, fortunately a buddy of mine stopped, got ill and recognized what was going on
On 5/20/2016 7:38 AM, bob haller wrote:

Yes, carbon dioxide (as you write) is serious. Can cause hyperventilation and symptoms of choking or asphyxiation.
Carbon monoxide (CO) can also be a problem with blocked flue. Cold or flu symptoms, red skin, and fatigue. You didn't mention carbon monoxide, but it's also a problem.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Wow. It's good he dropped by. But you were all awake. Maybe you would have figured it out without him.
I had a CO detector, a present from my brother, when I actually had CO, and it woke me up. Opened the window, turned off the furnace, was getting cold but didn't know how long to keep the window open.
Now I have a newer CO detector that goes bad after N years. Is there any point in unplugging it and taking out the batteries for 6 months of the year so that, maybe? it lasts twice as long?