Water comes in thru municipal water pipe in floor

4 years ago or so we decided to hook up to municipal water.

My house is a split level with a walk out basement. The water pipe ran under the front lawn on the side of the house with the walk out basement.

The pipe was brought into the house from under the basement floor (towards the front end of the house). I think they sealed the hole in the floor , around the pipe, with concrete. At least that's what it looks like to me.

Right next to the basement wall the outside ground is about 3 feet high or so, and slopes down to basement floor level over several feet. So when they laid the pipe, they didn't have to go much under the basement floor level.

The problem is when we get long heavy rains. The water pressure under the house is forcing water up thru the floor; it comes in around the water pipe. It kind of just slowly seeps up and then just slowly spreads itself across the basement floor.

I don't know if the area around the pipe was improperly sealed & I'm quite hesitsant to try and break the floor around the pipe for fear of damaging the pipe.

I was wondering about relieving the pressure under the floor. Maybe I could dig out the sloping ground outside, where the water pipe comes in, down the where the ground is level with the basement floor and maybe lay a small PVC pipe that would extend out to where the sloping ground stops sloping. I was wondering if something like this would allow water building up under the basement floor to push thru the pipe and just empty out onto the lawn.

Any ideas/comments would be appreciated

thanks

Reply to
saag

dig carefully under pipe definetely below footer lever, insert fabric then perforated pipe, surround wuth rough gravel cover well with landscape fabric, use solid pipe sloped far away from home.

does your basement have ANY other moisture issues?

if so a interior french drain is the best option

Reply to
hallerb

As Haller suggested. Make sure the drain slopes downward all the way. I believe

1" per 10' is the recommended minimum slope.
Reply to
Bob F

1/4 inch per foot around here, or a quarter bubble if using a level.

you cant seal water out, just redirect it to someplace better for you

Reply to
hallerb

I can't slope it too far from the house as my neighbor's property/ driveway is 12 feet or so from my basement wall.

Where the municpal pipe comes in is close to the laundry tub and the oil burner/oil tank. (from L to R it's the dryer, washer, laundry tub, oil burner , oil tank with a cement filled cinder block wall between the burner & tank)

The pipe is right behind the washer, so I don't have much room to play with on the inside of the house which is why I was thinking of trying to address it from the outside. The basement is heated (hot water baseboards - there's several feet of fins on the hot water pipe in the basement so the basement is partially heated. I don't have any other moisture issues.

Reply to
saag