Water collects in Whirlpool refrigerator

Water collects in my Whirlpool refrigerator (Model ET18GKXGN01). The water seeps into the vegetable drawers and bottom of the refrigerator.

I turned off the water supply valve to the ice maker thinking a leak in the system was the source of the water. However, that didn't solve the problem.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Reply to
Arnold Howard

There is a drain tube from the freezer to a pan underneath the fridge. It's purpose is to remove water resulting from the auto-defrost cycle. Sometimes this tube gets plugged with "stuff" causing the water to back up and leak down into the fridge compartment. Common cause for the symptom you are seeing. Empty the freezer, find the drain, and try pouring a bit of boiling water down it to clear it. Don't pour too much or you will overflow the pan underneath.

BTW, the water that ends up in the pan underneath just evaporates.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Thanks for the suggestion, Paul.

I have not found a drain tube in the freezer. I removed a plastic cover from the floor of the freezer. Under it was a slab of 1/4"-thick ice, which I removed. then I removed the back cover of the freezer but still did not find the vent pipe.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Howard

Look under the refrigerator. There should be a plastic tube going to a evaporation pan. It may just be that the tube froze up. It happens due to the auto defrost cycle of the cooling tubes.

Reply to
Rich256

This is a common problem, I've fixed it several times in my 55 years. You may have to completely clean out the freezer of food and really stick your head back in there. If it's clogged with "stuff" it may have water or ice covering it. Look in the bottom reefer section and see if there isn't a bulge slanting and coming down from the top towards the rear. That will give you an idea of where to look. Is there a drain pan underneath the unit with a tube going to it? If ithe pan's bone dry and dusty, you've probably got a clog up top.

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry Gardiner

I had this bookmarked and forgot about it! gerry

Gerry Gardiner

the drain is typically about 1/4 inch diameter. It is under the aluminum tubes and fins, and typically in the center, from left to right. About an inch from the back of the freezer. It is probably covered with ice, and you'll have to do some melting to find it. Think hair dryer. turkey baster also very useful for removing the ice melt.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon