water based floor finish

Hi - I'm considering using a water-based polyurethane to finish a newly installed wide pine floor... Mostly to avoid the odor (etc) from the oil based product. Does anyone have experience with the water-based product on a pine floor? How well does it stand up? Are there any major drawbacks?
thanks,
Greg

if it ever gets wet it will soften a little. for that reason oil based poly is better, and i believe harder too
On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 09:54:07 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

The waterbased finishes have the advantage of low odor, easy cleanup, and not flammable. The oil-based finishes are better in the long run, but you need set up some kind of cross ventilation. "Varathane" is a very good product for wooden floors.

A benefit of water base is it wont yellow like oil, so if you want the lightest natural finish over the years water base is best. Gloss is clearest in any finish so only use a satin or semi for final coat. Its probably softer than oil so do an extra coat.

It all depends what you want to spend. With what can buy at Home Depot, it's a crap shoot. The $50 / gallon (and up) water bourne finishes are extremely durable, probably more so than oil based.
JK
Greg,
I've used both on oak floors. The water-based did not stand up well in the high traffic areas with a big dog, even with four coats. Look at the small print on the can and it will probably say something about needing more frequent re-application. I should have re-done it after six years.
The oil-based does "color" the floor more, but I think it's a more durable finish. High gloss is tougher than semi or satin. Its been 12 years since I used the water-based so they could be better now. The oil-based, high gloss I put down two years ago still looks like new.
Of course the dog is gone now.
The water-based should work fine as long as you re-do it more frequently.
dss