Water base paint over Oil Primer?

I have some particle board warehouse shelves for the basement. I am painting them so that they will resist mildew and moisture. I was advised to use an oil-based primer. Do I need to use an oil-based top coat or can I use a water-based top coat? The Home Depot person said I can use water-based.

Thanks Mauro

Reply to
MG

"MG" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Latex over oil is OK. Chalk one up for the Borg.

Reply to
Al Bundy

I think oil is the best prep for latex. I fought with my front steps using latex paint over latex primer for some time. The paint just never held. I finally put down oil primer and then latex paint and it's held up great.

Reply to
tom