Water backed up in washer

Our washing machine is located in the basement. The drain feeds up to the main drain, about 5 feet off the floor. The rubber drain hose is looped up, down, and then up again to the drain. It's worked fine for years but occasionally there are several inches of water in the washer, even though the water supply is shut off and the machine has been fully drained for days. Of course other drains....kitchen and bathroom sinks, bathtub.....tie into the main drain as well but these are all free flowing. Is there a check-valve somewhere on the washers drain line that may be malfunctioning?

Thanks

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks Terry. Actually the washer drain line rises about one foot above the main drain before dropping down and tying in. It comes out from the bottom of the washer, loops up about one foot, loops back down, goes up about five feet and then loops down about one foot to the drain. We've been using it for over 15 years this way and only noticed the occasional problem in the last year. It always drains fine and normally there's no backup.

Reply to
Adrian

Hi,

The make, model# -might- help others help you :)

helps.

Too much info is better than not enough....

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

I had a similar situation happen, only where my washer ties into the drain is open to atmosphere. the washer tie in is of course a p-trap, so gas should not escape....

the symptom i had occur was water would backup out of this p-trap, an onto the cellar floor. the only reason it did not flow into the washer was because the washer drain hose is not connected to the drain "correctly."

The problem: Roots had reduced the flow through my sewer main under the front lawn. So, under heavy drain use with showers, dishwasher etc. the sewer connector was not letting enough flow into the street system, the first place the sewer water could get out was my open-air washer connection.

SO.... maybe you've got a sewer line problem with roots or other blockage. That would explain why this is not a constant problem, and why its a fairly recent manifestation.

ctb

Reply to
Craig T. Bailey

Could it be water dripping into it from the water supply lines. Thats what mine was doing and in a couple of days there would be several inches of water in it.

Reply to
Bswap

It's a Whirlpool Design 2000. About 18 years old.

Reply to
Adrian.

That was my thought since the water is clean but the manual shut-off valve suppling the washer is closed when not using it. I suppose the shutoff could be bad. I'll check it. Thanks.

Reply to
Adrian.