Water and sand flowing into perimeter drain, bad?

I've been reading other posts regarding perimeter drains trying to figure out what I should do. My house is under a year old and still under the builders warranty. The house is built on a slight incline from front to back. At the front of the house is a farmers porch with a bunch of sand under it. During one of our fall rainstorms a lot of water went under the porch and into the drain taking a whole bunch of the sand with it and leaving a hole about a foot or two under the porch. The sand was replaced and made higher so that the water wouldn't pool there. How bad is this? Is the drainage system ruined now? Also, there is a drainage pipe out in our backyard but I've never seen any water come out of it. Would the water under the house need to get to a certain level before it starts to drain out? I don't know how much water might be under the house. I do know that when we had a radon system put in the guy said there was a good amount of crushed stone under the house. My builders warranty will be up soon so any comments would be appreciated.

Reply to
Techsuperstar

Is it a drain system with perforated pipe, if it wasnt installed right it might be clogged with sand and worthless now. There is a right way to do it to code. I have one thats near 100 years old and flows like the day it was installed. For sand a plastic sock probably should have been used to keep out sand. You need to dig up a section to see its condition, how it was installed and protected from sand, and consult a few real engineering pros and talk to a lawyer. You need to get on record before that warranty expires.

Reply to
ransley

It's not clear exactly what drainage system we're talking about. Is it installed under the porch at grade level to divert water away from the house? Or are we talking about the drain system installed by the footers at the base of the foundation? If it's that latter, it's 9 ft away from the area under the porch and I don't see how sand from up at grade level could ever get into it.

Also, whatever drain pipe emerges from the ground would have to be from either some surface drain, gutters, etc or else if the house has a basement, it would have to be on one hell of a slope.

Reply to
trader4

Hmm.. I'm not too familiar with it all. It's definately less than 9ft away from the house, more like 3 or 4ft. The drain is in the ground ( I don't know how deep). It was just scary to see a whirlpool of water about 3ft in diameter going down into the ground right next to the house. I'm going to try to find out more from the builder soon.

Reply to
Techsuperstar

ide quoted text -

The 9ft was referring to the distance below ground where drains at the foundation footers would be. If the builder's warranty is about to run out, I'd suggest you find a competent home inspector to find out what exactly is going on.

Reply to
trader4