waste pipe

I have an old cast iron waste pipe which has a hole about 2 inches. I put a patch with screen and a compound with a firmco clamp over it. stopped the leak for now. Question can this be repaired without digging the cellar floor up. The hole is about 1/2 inch out of the floor. Maybe a sleeve that will fit inside the 4 inch pipe and slip over the outside with an expandable inside and compression outside? Or is the oly remedy to dig the floor up and replace the whole pipe(I know this is prpoer but money is a factor right now)>
teshaf wrote:

Sounds like you've fixed it fine (for now).
Depends on what caused the original hole, if the pipe is relatively new & it was damaged mechanically then I'd for get about it until funds are available.
If it's old (40 to 50+ years) then you probalby headed for replacement, sooner rather than later.
My 75 year old house had all of the crawlspace laterals (cast iron) replaced at ~70 years (about 10 years too late) the verticals all were ok. Plus the laterals service the laundry & kitchen....harsh chem waste (bleach, diswasher soap)
If you do any repairs make sure the internal surface is a smooth & unobstructed as possible...maybe a rolled piece of aluminum shim stock (or thin spring steel) as an inner wall form for any patching compound.....outside doesn't matter so much.
There are techniques (pipe bursting or relining) that don't require digging but they're not DIY friendly. I don't think pipe bursting will work for pipe near the surface.
cheers Bob
Thanks Bob: Had a plumber come look today he said it should be dug up and replaced so that is what I am going to do. The patch worked but is only temparory so I may as well get it fixed right and be done. Thanks for the reply. Terry
BobK207 wrote:

drew2727 had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-waste-pipe-168030-.htm : I have a 75 year old house i'm remodeling and i'm thinking about having the same thing done. How much did they charge you? Did they do all the laterals, vents, and main line?
Drew

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 344962 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##