Waste Arm Question

I am installing a new sink and vanity in my home. It looks like I need to extend the waste arm to match the drain alignment with the new sink. Sounds easy enough... however, I have been grappling with identifying the best way to do this as the waste arm is chromed covered and soldered to the stub/drain.

I am considering a couple of approaches and wondering if anyone here has any tips/suggestions. Note that I am not sure if the waste arm if chromed covered copper or brass. Should I cut a portion of the waste arm with a jig saw and solder a chromed cover copper/brass extension? Or would a better option be to cut the waste arm and use some type of transition fitting to go PVC? Since the waste arm is covered in chrome I am not sure how difficult it will be remove the chrome for the solder to stick.

TIA

Reply to
torretta1

You have pretty well identified the situation. The trap arm is tubular brass with chrome plating.

It is difficult to remove enough chrome plating to get good soldering, especially on a piece stuck in the wall:-)

There are rubber couplings one could use, but they will look ugly.

The best fix in this situation (IMHO) is a "repair trap". It has a slip coupling on the inlet side and you just cut the existing tube the proper length to extend the trap outward to line up. A good supply house will have them in 1 1/4" size.

If you do decide to solder, there is a 1 1/4" brass/chrome solder coupling but it may be hard to find a supplier.

Before you get too involved, press on the existing tube (especially the bottom side) to feel for spongey brass, indicating it has rotted out.

In some parts of this land, slip couplings aren't permitted on the trap inlet, if that would concern you... Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Hey, thanks for your reply! That does sound like the best fix... Funny how I have been researching this situation for a coupla weeks and never came across this fix!

Reply to
torretta1

at DTC-150 just a screwdriver attaches this rubber adapter.

Reply to
buffalobill

Here's what they look like:

Speedy Jim

Thanks! I'll also look into this adapter...and I thought that this drain issue was going to be my biggest problem when swapping the sink n vanity!

Reply to
torretta1