Wasps in breaker box

As I have said in a couple of other threads I just completed a bathroom reno and I ran into a rather interesting problem..When I took off the faceplate to add a breaker for the bathroom I found live wasps and about 3 inches of dead ones in the bottom of the box..I went outside and observed wasps flying in and out of the gaps around the 3 wires entering the weather head..I can't believe they made it all the way down thru the meter into the basement but they did..I hosed the weatherhead with wasp spray and cold weather came and I haven't seen anymore but I'm looking for a more permanant solution..Is there a way to seal around the wires?? I know I will have to call the power company to kill the power to do this but need a plan before doing so and don't expect a clerk at Home Depot to know the answer so I'm asking the knowledgable folks here...Any suggestions ?? Thanks as always...

"Great Stuff" expanding foam.

"Great Stuff" expanding foam.
I was thinking that as well but wondered how it would hold up with the wires swaying in the wind...
On 1/1/2011 9:56 PM, benick wrote:

if you get the tube up IN the weather head and let 'er rip, there won't be any foam where the wires are moving.
--
Steve Barker
On 1/1/2011 11:03 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

Assuming the main feed lines are in conduit from the breaker box up to the meter base, you could foam at the bottom end (with fire-rated, of course), where the wires don't move around, and keep them out of the house. I presume they were seeking warmth, and followed the warm breeze from the weather head.
But the first thing I'd do is call the power company and ask. Around these parts, everything upstream from the meter base is their problem. If they are in the service panel, they are in the meter base, and thus a danger to the power company techs, Sounds like the weather head may need replacement, or at least a new boot. Their field service guys will have seen this before, and know what the best cure is. They may say your problem and your nickel, but they can point you at somebody to hire.
--
aem sends...

Good idea.It's the same here...I'll start there first and see what they say...The conduit runs up the gable and curves out..In the end there is a rubber cork(for lack of a better word) with 3 holes in it which are larger than the wires going into it..Maybe just that part needs replacing..It is 50 years old...Thanks for all the suggestions...
?

Or silicone caulk.
On 1/1/2011 9:40 PM, benick wrote:

great foam. stick the tube in where the wasps go. no power company required.
--
Steve Barker

I would start by just sealing the opening at the panel. Climbing a ladder would be the last desperate action.
I would rap a rag around the wires to keep the sealant from dripping on the wire/terminals.
Pick a few other spots to seal while you are at it. You can't reuse the stuff.
benick wrote:

Silicon paste?
On 1/1/2011 9:40 PM, benick wrote:

When I've installed a weather head, I've sealed it with duct seal. It's a gray compound that looks and feels like modeling clay. I seal them from the inside too before putting the metal hood/cover on the assembly. You should be able to remove the metal hood without disturbing the wires and fill the backside with any sort of nonconducting foam or caulking compound. I wonder if one of the knockouts in the bakelite insulator is open with no wire in it?
TDD

In service weatherheads 200 amp and larger, I don't think I've ever seen one that didn't have wasp nests inside. Seems like the perfect habitat for them. I don't believe that the wasps in the panel have come down the pipe though. I would be looking for an opening in the meter box or cable fittings between the meter box and the panel. If you find one, fill it with silicone

I did check for other entry points but didn't find any..I'll check again to be sure...