Wasps... die, die, die!

Page 1 of 2
We got wasps right her in river community that's spelled with a W and stands fer sting and I want 'em all DEAD!!
I got two holsters fulla Raid Wasp and Hornet Spray. I can hit 'em in mid flight! ...but the bastids jes keep'a comin'!! My shed has been taken over by the enemy. At least a dozen throwing themselves against the sole window at mid-day when it finally warms up. Tomorrow, I plan to Raid grenade (fog bomb) the shed jes as they start to stir.
Any advice? ;)
nb
--
vi ....the heart of evil!

Ya....be careful:
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/7915036-418/wife-of-man-believed-stung-to-death-by-insects-bruce-dont-leave-me.html

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/7915036-418/wife-of-man-believed-stung-to-death-by-insects-bruce-dont-leave-me.html
Oh man, that's terrible!
I can relate. I once thought I was allergic, having been almost stung to death by wasps when I was about 4 yrs old. A bee sting when in jr high gave me a foot the size of a football. Later, as an adult and a few stings later, I got stung by a bee while riding my motorcycle. Barely hurt. No reaction. Not sure of my status, now, but duck everytime I see a airborned bug shadow and am paranoid of any stinging insect. I bought some Raid bug bombs and will plant one, today. Some bugs are gonna die!
nb
They're attracted to old rotten meat...be careful.

lol.... No wonder they're always buzzing me. ;)
nb

Any particular flavor? I need to know for coming summer. Apple juice is their favorite juice. Maybe a mix.
Steve
As far as I know, just rotten carcasses of any description. Don't know about the apple juice...experiment I would say.
On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 08:14:08 -0700 (PDT), Roy
Wow! I'll make sure to keep my zipper up! ;-)--
--
croy

WOW! Set off Raid bomb 1/2 hr ago. Apparently, every wasp in the place/nest is in frantic escape mode. Must be 4-5 dozen clawing at the window. Crawl up ...try ta' fly ...fall down. News in one hour.
nb

OK, half hour.
Looked thru window. No flyers. Little activity. One or two hardy crawlers, soon to be demised. I'm giving Raid Fogger a thumbs up!
As a qualifier, I'll relate that the shed is only about 8'x10', full height.
nb

One hour later. No living wasps. Hopefully got them damn black widows, mice, etc, too.
So, Raid Fogger is a success. I suspect it killed the whole nest, which I have yet to locate. All I know is I saw several dozens in their death throes. That's good enough for me. Jes set 2nd bomb in other shed, about the same size. Three bombs at True Value fer $10, a true value!
Got bugs? Toss a bomb. I'm sold.
nb
notbob wrote:

Interesting update. One thought -- the live ones that are out and about during the day will return before dark. If they can get in and aren't too put off by the chemical residue, I guess there will be more live ones there tonight. The best time to hit them is at night when everyone's home.

Good point. I've never gone this route, so figured they'd be more susceptible when awake and I had no idea there were so many in that shed. No doubt this whole scenario will be repeated next season, but for now I figure I jes eliminated a sh*tload of them sonsabitches.
nb
On 9/29/2011 3:49 PM, notbob wrote:

nb didn't say if these were ground nesting, or the paper mache things in an interior corner of shed. For ground-nesting nasties, best cure I have found is put a window screen over the hole about an hour after dark, pour about 2 glugs of simple green on the screen, and flood the sucker with the hose. Finally tried that after wasting 20-30 bucks on spray cans, pink powder, etc. Dumb things- a quarter mile in any direction are dozens of acres where they can live in peace, but they have to build in my yard? Nothing like a sudden 'bee fountain' while you are mowing in shorts and a tee shirt, to make your day suck.
--
aem sends...

You should find out what sort of wasps you have. This year I got a whole lot of big ones digging holes in the lawn and seemingly living alone underground. They come out from time to time and buzz you but otherwise didn't seem to be in the same order of nastiness as the ones that hang in a nest under the eaves and similar places. Still wasps are wasps so not knowing much about them I did some research on line and also asked at a couple of nurseries. Surprisingly of the "live" sources the HD guy was the most helpful but all of them were well behind the on line sources. It seems that what I had was an infestation of Cicada-killing wasps. They kill cicadas (duh!), by mildly stinging them, drag their dying corpses underground and lay their eggs IN the still-barely-alive bodies. Next year the young eat their way through the cicada and leave the nest. There's no swarming and they live solitary lives and, most importantly, they don't generally sting us. The female has a mild (to us) sting and the male has no stinger at all.
Because of the nesting habits once you've got them you'll have them every year unless you take drastic measures like pouring kerosene down the holes and igniting it (one website's answer). And there's a reason why they choose your yard instead of the "dozens of acres" nearby: they need easy access to their tunnels which is best achieved by nesting where humans have cut the grass close to the ground, not in open fields. Like the cockroach they seem to have developed a symbiotic relationship with man and are supposedly proliferating. No real reason to kill them.

Went up logging and stayed at the cabin last night. On the way down, noticed a light gray wasp nest shaped like half an hour glass, and as big as a bowling ball. All I had was my .357 and snakeshot, so put five rounds into it and slammed the door to the truck. They were pissed. We watched for a while, then left. Next week if I go up, I'll take the 12 ga. Wingmaster, and make sure it is not there come spring. It is near a pathway among the cabins.
I love messing with wasps.
Steve
notbob wrote:

SpectracidePRO Wasp and Hornet Killer - black and white label, do not confuse this with the regular Spectracide with the green label. The green label stuff just makes them mad, the B&W label stuff kills them instantly.

That must be the same as the Walmart branded stuff. I bought a green can and it was useless. It'll knock 'em down, but they jes shake it off, dry out, and fly away. I was dumbfounded! Raid brand takes 'em out on the fly.
nb
--
vi ....the heart of evil!

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Those nasties must have been possessed, I've used the SpectracidePRO stuff for years and I'm quite confident it would take out a charging elephant.
To prevent infestation again, put a dish of moth balls in the shed.
---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire (44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')