Wasps

I find 193 posts on wasps in this group but can not find an answer to " how long will a nest survive after all entrances exits have been sealed ? "

I have calked all I can find at night so I think they are all inside.

Reply to
p4o2

Adults may survive a long time as you'll not make it airtight and there well may be alternate routes they can use to escape that you don't know about. The eggs they've laid will winter over and hatch next spring.

IOW, that ain't the most promising way to get rid of them.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I would expect until cold weather kills them off. They may be like many other insects that cannibalize each other to survive as a colony.

You likely mean hornets or yellow jackets, not wasps.

A better technique is to put repellants at the exit rather than an absolute barrier. Then they'll go out under a compulsion, but not back in.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Why? A "yellow jacket" is a wasp...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

In article , p4o2 @webtv.net says... :) I find 193 posts on wasps in this group but can not find an answer to " :) how long will a nest survive after all entrances exits have been sealed :) ? " :) :) I have calked all I can find at night so I think they are all inside. :) :) You won't be able to seal them well enough to contain them in a house. If you have been able to keep them from getting to the outside, you'll know by the activity found inside.

Reply to
Lar

In article , snipped-for-privacy@swko.dot.net says... :) Adults may survive a long time as you'll not make it airtight and there :) well may be alternate routes they can use to escape that you don't know :) about. The eggs they've laid will winter over and hatch next spring. :) :) Actually the eggs don't survive the Winter to hatch in the Spring. Towards the end of summer new queens will be born that survive the winter to start new nest next year.

Reply to
Lar

Yeah, a type of wasp, but not usually called that. Wasps by name usually refers to solitary or small colonies built from mud or paper outdoors, not the huge colonies of yellow jackets built inside enclosed locations.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Tom Miller

I've been told to never seal the entrances to a yellow jacket nest around the house. You run the risk that they will chew their way out of the nest in the direction of your home's interior.

I don't know if it is true, but it seems to make sense.

Reply to
Gideon

you are right. years ago my mother was in the hospital and i was taking care of her cat. saw a ton of wasps, or bees going in an area near a vent on the first floor. use some old sevin and chloradane in the opening. came back a day later and there was a ton of them dead and alive(a little) in the house. the cat was scared shi****s. years later the cat died of cancer.

Reply to
jdk

If it's a nest of Yellow Jackets inside your wall you will need to kill them. I went through about 5 cans of that special Raid made just for wasps and hornets and three cans of fogger. But no go. Bite the bullet and get a pro to your house ASAP. It isn't that expensive and they know a hell of a lot more about this than we do. Our guy pumped a quick killing spray and then also applied a powdery substance which took care of any un-hatched bugs.

If you seal them off or trap them, they WILL do whatever they can to get out. We found them coming through our recessed kitchen lighting two floors down each time I sprayed.

Once the nest population is exterminated, good bye! Yellow Jackets do not re-use old nests.

Good luck!

Reply to
M&K

Second on the SEVIN dust. Tried to kill a (hidden) nest of wasps with several cans of poison to no success. I could see them going in & out every day, but did not find the nest. Took the advice of a guy I work with and dusted with SEVIN where I saw them going in, and they tracked the poison back to the nest. Never saw another wasp in that spot.

Reply to
thrugoodmarshall