Wasp powder

Page 1 of 2

The church has some wasps that burrow in, and are not at all affected by wasp sprays. The maint guys have been using some kind of powder.
Which could be used on homes, possibly during repair.
Anyone know what this powder might be? Now, I will DAGS and see what I find.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Sevin dust will kill wasps.
Thanks. I'll ask for that.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Probably sevin dust.
Made and seconded, do we have a floor vote on Sevin?
Could be. Thanks.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I use 50% Methoxychlor just because I have some, but Sevin does a good job too it just takes a little longer. Use 10% Sevin instead of the 5% unless you already have 5%. Just put a pinch of it in the hole where they are getting in.
Sevin will stain carpets and rugs, so be careful where it might get inside.
Bob
That sounds like real world advice. These applications will be outdoors, on exterior walls.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Wasps eat bugs that that bother you and your garden, they are helpfull carnivores, they are really only pests in fall when they need to store energy for winter, or that late summer cookout, but as others said its Ortho Sevin, a turkey baister with a hose on it is what pros use to get it in tough spots, its even sold as a liqued spray with garden hose bottle but I think it works mainly when dryed. I used to tape a cup on a long wood pole and pour the powder into the wasp ground hole. It might kill fish also so be carefull of runoff. One small bag of Seven might do 5-10 nests
Now, that's practical advice. With some how-to application. Thanks.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

And then they stick around and do the bothering themselves instead. They are terribly annoying when sitting on the deck, especially with sweet food or beverages around, and frighten the kids out of their wits. To heck with them (the wasps I mean, not the kids).

Around here they're pests ALL the time.

With our perpetual wasp problem, I'm going to give this Sevin stuff a try. Never heard of it before.
--
Tegger

One of their nests was burrowed into the wall, outside the primary room. Somehow, a couple of them got into the primary room, and one of the boys was stung last year. I do take that seriously.
The nest was under the side wood, they enter and exit through a hole about 3/8 inch diameter. I tried three or four brand of wasp spray. Even sprayed the critters directly. Got em wet. They don't seem to notice. The facilities management people say some kind of powder blown into the nest holes seems to help. Last year they got 30 complaints about wasps, from 10 buildings. That's a real issue.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Strange. We got lotsa wasps, all different shapes and sizes, and Black Flag and Ace Hardware wasp spray takes 'em out, no problem. These sprays shoot a healthy straight stream that puts the shooter as far as 10 ft back.
nb
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Sevin is a kind of slow acting powder. That's what you want. (if you buy the wettable powder formulation, you're still going to use it dry.) It just takes a little; you put it where you know some of them will walk thru it. It gets on their feet, doesn't immediately kill them, and they take it back to the nest and walk around getting it all over the paper hive. In a couple of days, it kills all of them. A fast acting poison, like pyrethrum or most wast sprays, knocks them down right away and they don't get a chance to goto the hive and poison all their wasp buddies.
Bob

We have a modular home (park model, etc) with that interupted siding with kind of concave lines running horizontally. When these meet things like vert window trim, it's an open door to wast to get into the walls. I've seen them enter at a couple points and just aimed a 3-4 sec stream of wasp spray into that entry point. No more activity. We have some pretty healthy wasps, too. One is at least twice as big as every other wasp around here and is kinda furry and colored like a Gurnsey cow. As big as they are, the stream-type wasp sprays take them out, too, even if a bit slower (5-10 secs).
Any suggestions on what to use to plug those entry points?
nb

Just silicone caulk.
The problem is the sheer number of places wasps will nest, which is pretty much ANYwhere they can build a nest, no matter how small the cavity.
Wasps will use an entry point as small as 1/4 x 1/4. If I went around my house and tried to plug every possible place, I'd have to encase the entire house in shrink-wrap, the way they do pleasure boats. And even then the bastards would find a way in. Don't forget the soffit. It's filled with holes for ventilation. Gonna plug all of those?
Last summer we didn't put our deck umbrella up for couple of weeks. When I finally did, there was a nest in there about the size of a large cherry- tomato. After I got rid of it, wasps came by for several days in a row looking for that nest.
We had a fairly mild winter this year. This means more queens will have survived. The experts are predicting a waspalanche for us this year...
--
Tegger

If Winter temps are a factor, we may get a respite, it being almost the coldest Winter on record, here. Even our sewers froze. :(
nb
You're right about the small holes. I've seen with my own eyes, wasps crawl up a glass window, and then over the top (crank out, two section trailer windows). They seem to like to nest in my outdoor propane grill, and in the metal tube structure of the grill base.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Any crack in floor mouldings and electric outlets or ceiling fixtures can let them in, and so it can happen when you do the Seven, be sure its not honey bees

We had honeybees a couple of summers ago. They had a nest inside our siding that they were getting at through a small hole at an upper corner of a sliding door that lets onto the deck.
They were cute as the dickens while the weather was hot. I'd stand in the doorway, watching them come and go, inches from my face. I didn't bother them, and they didn't bother me.
But then the fall came. All of a sudden they discovered that the house interior was warmer than the great outdoors. Then they discovered that they could fly up through siding, into the attic, and enter my (then) 10-year- old daughter's room through tiny gaps in the ceiling-light-fixture mounting.
At that point I made a call to a pest-control company. I don't know what they did, but the bees went bye-bye. And what a relief that was, too.
--
Tegger