Wasp powder

The church has some wasps that burrow in, and are not at all affected by wasp sprays. The maint guys have been using some kind of powder.

Which could be used on homes, possibly during repair.

Anyone know what this powder might be? Now, I will DAGS and see what I find.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sevin dust will kill wasps.

Reply to
Oren

Probably sevin dust.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I use 50% Methoxychlor just because I have some, but Sevin does a good job too it just takes a little longer. Use 10% Sevin instead of the 5% unless you already have 5%. Just put a pinch of it in the hole where they are getting in.

Sevin will stain carpets and rugs, so be careful where it might get inside.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Wasps eat bugs that that bother you and your garden, they are helpfull carnivores, they are really only pests in fall when they need to store energy for winter, or that late summer cookout, but as others said its Ortho Sevin, a turkey baister with a hose on it is what pros use to get it in tough spots, its even sold as a liqued spray with garden hose bottle but I think it works mainly when dryed. I used to tape a cup on a long wood pole and pour the powder into the wasp ground hole. It might kill fish also so be carefull of runoff. One small bag of Seven might do 5-10 nests

Reply to
ransley

Thanks. I'll ask for that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Made and seconded, do we have a floor vote on Sevin?

Could be. Thanks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That sounds like real world advice. These applications will be outdoors, on exterior walls.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Maybe instead, I'll file some metal off the gold plates, and blow that in?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Now, that's practical advice. With some how-to application. Thanks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Another religious war? Those White Anglo Saxon Protestants are very pesky aren't they? *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

ransley wrote in news:e6bdbabb-a6fa-475d-9845- snipped-for-privacy@c21g2000yqk.googlegroups.com:

And then they stick around and do the bothering themselves instead. They are terribly annoying when sitting on the deck, especially with sweet food or beverages around, and frighten the kids out of their wits. To heck with them (the wasps I mean, not the kids).

Around here they're pests ALL the time.

With our perpetual wasp problem, I'm going to give this Sevin stuff a try. Never heard of it before.

Reply to
Tegger

We're doing our part to rid the world of infidel.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

One of their nests was burrowed into the wall, outside the primary room. Somehow, a couple of them got into the primary room, and one of the boys was stung last year. I do take that seriously.

The nest was under the side wood, they enter and exit through a hole about 3/8 inch diameter. I tried three or four brand of wasp spray. Even sprayed the critters directly. Got em wet. They don't seem to notice. The facilities management people say some kind of powder blown into the nest holes seems to help. Last year they got 30 complaints about wasps, from 10 buildings. That's a real issue.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Strange. We got lotsa wasps, all different shapes and sizes, and Black Flag and Ace Hardware wasp spray takes 'em out, no problem. These sprays shoot a healthy straight stream that puts the shooter as far as 10 ft back.

nb

Reply to
notbob

A lot depends on the type of wasp. We went camping once and were plagued by swarms of ground burrowing yellow jackets. Damn things would be 3 deep on your food before you could get a fork full to your mouth. We beat them at their own game. We put a paper plate full of fresh fruit salad about 40 ft away. Cleared our area completely. They really go for melons like honeydew.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Sevin is a kind of slow acting powder. That's what you want. (if you buy the wettable powder formulation, you're still going to use it dry.) It just takes a little; you put it where you know some of them will walk thru it. It gets on their feet, doesn't immediately kill them, and they take it back to the nest and walk around getting it all over the paper hive. In a couple of days, it kills all of them. A fast acting poison, like pyrethrum or most wast sprays, knocks them down right away and they don't get a chance to goto the hive and poison all their wasp buddies.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

We have a modular home (park model, etc) with that interupted siding with kind of concave lines running horizontally. When these meet things like vert window trim, it's an open door to wast to get into the walls. I've seen them enter at a couple points and just aimed a

3-4 sec stream of wasp spray into that entry point. No more activity. We have some pretty healthy wasps, too. One is at least twice as big as every other wasp around here and is kinda furry and colored like a Gurnsey cow. As big as they are, the stream-type wasp sprays take them out, too, even if a bit slower (5-10 secs).

Any suggestions on what to use to plug those entry points?

nb

Reply to
notbob

notbob wrote in news:friAn.44407$Db6.21929 @newsfe05.iad:

Just silicone caulk.

The problem is the sheer number of places wasps will nest, which is pretty much ANYwhere they can build a nest, no matter how small the cavity.

Wasps will use an entry point as small as 1/4 x 1/4. If I went around my house and tried to plug every possible place, I'd have to encase the entire house in shrink-wrap, the way they do pleasure boats. And even then the bastards would find a way in. Don't forget the soffit. It's filled with holes for ventilation. Gonna plug all of those?

Last summer we didn't put our deck umbrella up for couple of weeks. When I finally did, there was a nest in there about the size of a large cherry- tomato. After I got rid of it, wasps came by for several days in a row looking for that nest.

We had a fairly mild winter this year. This means more queens will have survived. The experts are predicting a waspalanche for us this year...

Reply to
Tegger

notbob wrote in news:N1iAn.251785$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe22.iad:

Ah, a simple diversion. Cute. Never thought of that one.

Reply to
Tegger