Wasp nest removal difficulty

"[RICHLAND, Wash] Workers cleaning up the Hanford nuclear reservation are going after radioactive wasp nests."
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009327345_webnukedwasps11m.html
And you thought you had troubles...

I hope they have a way to subdue the wasps before digging up the nests.
If the nests are "fairly highly contaminated" can we assume the wasps are also?
We wouldn't want "fairly highly contaminated" wasps flying hither and yon, would we?
HeyBub wrote:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009327345_webnukedwasps11m.html
I could have sworn I've seen a B movie about that. *snicker*
TDD

re: "a B movie"
Yeah...there was a lot of buzz about it when it first opened.
"DerbyDad03" wrote: The Daring Dufas wrote:

Yeah I dunno, I don't think it ever took off.
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

Ooof! That stung.
--Winston
HeyBub wrote:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009327345_webnukedwasps11m.html
*GASP*
In 1958 I was operating a U of H solar observatory at Makapuu Point in Hawaii. It was my first job out of college and pretty much a flunky one.
In addition to the observatory, the U of C had some meson counters there and I was supposed to maintain them. A weekly chore was checking their accuracy with a slug of radioactive beryllium which was kept in a lead lined hole in the ground some distance away. I'd go fish it out with a (literally) 10 foot pole to take it back to the counters.
Now Makapuu is a pretty boring place - not much there except scrubby brush, mongooses, roaches and yellow jackets - so I fought the boredom by irradiating yellow jacket nests on the way back.
I never *dreamed* my onslaught against boredom would spread so far :)
--

dadiOH
dadiOH wrote:

I think that's the sight I saw on the Discovery Channel. Don't you have to stop for a day at 7,000 foot or so to acclimate yourself to the rarefied atmosphere?
They told the story of a carpenter who was brought up quickly for some sort of repair. Midway through the repair, some passing scientist asked him how the work was progressing. The carpenter said things were pretty screwed up. "No matter how much I cut off this blankety-blank board, it's STILL too short!"
HeyBub wrote:

You're thinking of Mauna Kea on the island of Hawaii. Makapuu Point is a smallish hill on the SE corner of Oahu...same island as Honolulu.
--

dadiOH