Washing machines that are built like commercial machines?

Page 2 of 2
I don't get it. People say things don't last like they used to but how many of you are using 1950's, 60's, or 70's washing machines or cars? Why would you want to drive a 1970's gas guzzler with a POS carb that you have to rebuild every so often. Man, I never want to go back to that old technology. Well, I do have a 69 VW where it is fun to tinker with but I sure don't want a daily driver like that. I also like not having keep adjusting my clothes in the washing machine when they get off balance like the old machines I have used. The new one I have automatically compensates for all of that. Also, if manufacturers make things that last forever, eventually there will be so many and no more will need to be made. Then what happens? They go out of business and you can't even find parts to repair your "last for ever" washing machine.
Welcome to the land of reality where things wear out or become obsolete and need to be replaced. And, if you want to go and use that TRS-80 or IBM PC Jr be my guest. I am sure you can find some software out there for it if you look hard enough. But don't expect to be doing any of the cool stuff that the new ones do.

(Amazon.com product link shortened)(3155

There seems to be enough people who like their 20 year old washing machines.
As for cars, I think that they were using planned obsolescence in those times that you are mentioning.

On Sat, 06 May 2006 04:29:25 GMT, Ignoramus22440

Ariston, Asko, Thor There are a ton of Pro Washing Machines.
What about those Australian machines someone on the group was talking about around a year ago. Karl

Karl Vorwerk wrote:

New Zealand based Fisher and Paykel makes a highly efficient top loading washer. It is a simple design with a direct drive DC motor. They also came out with a top loading dryer, with an unnecessarily complex design (IMHO) compared with the washer.
Bob wrote:

My sister just bought this pair last week from Lowes. I'm waiting to hear of its + & -.
You might want to look at the Stabler, if you can find them (this is all I can find: http://www.ece.umr.edu/power/Energy_Course/energy/Energy_eff/Energy_efficiency/Stabler_Presentation.ppt ). It is made by an industrial washing machine manufacturer and is built like a tank. Very clever design features make it one of the most energy efficient. My brother designed it and holds patents on some of the features. He's no longer affiliated with them, but the machine is very good. Very pricey, though. I believe they are still made.

"Ignoramus22440" <ignoramus22440@NOSPAM.22440.invalid> wrote in message
It's Staber, not Stabler. http://www.staber.com /
I've owned one for about 10 yrs. Unique patented design. Cleans wonderfully, gentle on clothes, must use low-sudsing detergent (like Tide HE), all stainless, only top-loading horizontal axis made. Has all advantages of other horizontal-axis washers plus better agitation. Had some problems which were corrected promptly. Essentially available only from factory. Simple belt drive. Only issue remaining on my older model is unbalance on spin dry for partial loads. Things like 1-2 towels which are hard to self-balance. A must look for those that appreciate quality built American designs with demonstrable advantages. . Bob Chilcoat wrote: