Washing machines: any routine maint. I should do?++

It's working fine, but I wonder if there is something like a 30,000 miles checkup I should do? It's 10 years old and does about 3 loads a week.
Tweeny,
Look in the owner's manual. The only routine maintenance I do is to check and adjust the drivebelt tension every few years.
Dave M.

check all hoses for leaks and supply lines for bubbles in the outer cover.....
Actually, if you have rubber water supply hoses on your washing machine it's a good idea to replace them with braided stainless steel hoses, which you can buy at any appliance parts store:
[image:
http://www.applianceblog.com/archives/SteelHose.jpg ]
That's because when washer supply hoses do burst, the cause is usually because the hose had been rubbing on a piece of sharp metal on the back of the washer, and it eventually cut through the cotton braiding inside the hose wall. Stainless steel is much harder than the mild steel the washing machine panels are made of, and so if a braided stainless steel hose rubs on sharp mild steel, the mild steel will get dull rather than the hose get cut.
Every appliance manufacturer will tell you to shut off the water to your washer whenever it's not in use, but who does that? Most people will shut the water off to their washer before they go on vacation, but that's about it. Having braided stainless steel supply hoses makes the likelihood of coming home to a flooded basement cuz the washer supply hose burst very much less likely.
--
nestork

nestork wrote:

Of course that's a good idea but, as you said, who does it? Maybe if shutting off the water was easier ...
Faucets are available that are quarter-turn which should make the safety step easier, but even then there are problems.
I've got a washer and a dryer that are front-loaders*. Both are, moreover, on pedestals ! I can't even SEE the faucets, let alone reach the to adjust their status.
So, I'm with you on the braided, stainless steel, hoses.
As for maintenance on the rest of the machine, do like you do on your automobile tires: Run 'em 'til they blow.
--
* Retail price on the pair, including pedestals, is in excess of $2400 and
change. I got these two, used, for a total of $350. I'm willing to share the

I saw something on one of the TV home shows that was a valve you could put on and it would let the normal flow to the washer go ok, but if a hose broke, the valve would not open.
For tires, they do need maintenance. The air pressure needs to be checked and they should be rotated every 5000 or so miles. Last set I bought was at a place that rotates them for free.

Only thing I would do is replace the rubber water hoses with burst-proof hoses so you don't get flood damage when you're away from home. Other than that, there really isn't anything to maintain. Just wait for the nuisance repairs that are usually very inexpensive to repair if you do it yourself...lid switch, motor coupling, water valve, etc.

Yes there is maintenance you should do, especially being 10 yrs old.
Start by pouring a quart of 10w30 in, now don't put clothes in with it. Run it for a full cycle, this will lube everything, which needs to be oiled. Now it's ready for a load of clothes.
Strange. That's not in my manual.