washing machine won't empty or spin

I have a 3 yr. old whirlpool washer that will not pump out or spin. Any ideas as to what may be the problem?

First thing I would do is check the lid switch. If that is OK, it's probably the pump that is clogged or not working. And in turn that is why it's not spinning, because it will only spin when the water gets pumped out. You probably have an external pump which is easy to get at and check. Here's a good site that can give more details. http://www.repairclinic.com/0001.asp

If it's like most top loaders, you don't need to pull it from the wall. The front panel can be easily removed by sticking a putty knife on each side between the top of the front panel and the top panel to release the tabs. Then lift the front panel off the bottom pegs and you should have access to the pump.
I have bypassed the lid switch and drained the water (even though it tasted terrible!) (I'll never fart in my underwear again!) The machine agitates but the motor only hums when it is time to drain or spin. I cannot see what actuates either the pump or spin modes. Is it internal to the motor?

badaddidude wrote: ...

A relay throws in the clutch.
If it hums like it's stalled, probably have something like a small sock or similar object that got over the tub and sucked into the pump intake.
Disconnect the inlet hose and check for obstruction.

My door switch broke but to complete the circuit I had to connect the wires together, just disconnecting the switch may not give power.

Does this machine reverse the motor polarity/direction to go from agitate to pump out and spin??? I am pretty sure that the Maytag family of machines do this, but i have not worked on Whirlpool family of machines for several years.
On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 17:58:00 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

My experience is with Whirlpool 20 years old and older, but I know they used the same design for decades, and maybe still.
If so;, there is a solenoid that moves a rod under the tub, and when moved, it pumps out and doesn't agitate. It generally doesn't start spinning until most of the water is out, but when I once had a pump problem, it would try to spin earlier.
On that one occasion, because it wasn't pumping out, I narrowed it down to the pump! AFter replacing the pump, when I went to put the machine back, I pretty much concluded that the outlet hose was kinked. Also after cutting open the old pump, I found nothing wrong with it. I could have bought a new hose, but I put the old one in an awkward position, where it splashes a bit when pumping out, and it's worked fine for several years.
However when mine didn't pump out, I think it did spin.
(Now it won't spin unless I give it a push first, and I presume that is because the belt is 29 years old.)
badaddidude wrote:

Top or front loader?
Do you hear the motor running?