Washing Machine under $500.

Its time for a new washing machine. I'm looking for a good sturdy basic machine - no extra bells & whistles needed - under $500. What do you suggest.

http://tinyurl.com/3mpan $299.00, great value.
Better washer for $279 http://tinyurl.com/5ab3m
Roper is made by Whirlpool and the quality is the same. The difference between these two washers is the $279 model offers 2-spped motor, the $299 model is single speed.

Maytag
GE = Generally Expensive
Speaking for one man's experience. When I moved into my present adress, they left a Whirlpool washer. This was late in 1994. All it needed was some oil on the motor. About three or four years ago, it needed another squirt of oil. Other than that, it has been working very nicely.
Personally, I like whirlpool. I worked on a Mayfag electric drier, the other day. The replacement part said it was for whirlpool, wonder if they make the equipment for Mayfag?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Until recently I used to go to the used appliance stores and look for kenmores with a warranty. I paid under $200 some times with delivery included.
Check Consumer Reports at library.

CR rated Sears (Kenmore) at the top when I purchased mine but I had problems, a bad motor being one of them, just few days after warranty.
Personally I stay away from Kenmore and Frigidaire. Manufactures used to make machines that last well over 25 years but now you're lucky if it last more than 7.
I have a Maytag now and its doing ok so far.

Things like this happen with any brand. Whirlpool makes most of Sear's laundry products and they are fine. Most of the parts in these machines are purchased by the manufacturer and installed. Motors are mostly GE & Emerson and there may be others now, it doesn't matter what brand it is in many cases they all get their parts from the same suppliers.

I pretty much stay with Whirlpool, Kitchenaid, and Amana products. I've had good luck. It's true that some people have appliances that last 20 or 30 years but they are in the minority and always were, average life was never that high.
I agree that appliances aren't what they were but in many ways they have been improved while keeping the cost down. Don't forget, people build these machines and they don't earn what they did 25 years ago and benefit packages have also increased in cost to the manufacturers.
I posted in this thread about a Whirlpool washer for under $300, 25 years ago I doubt if you could have purchased a Whirlpool washer for this price, especially one with the same features.
Go to the library, look at the index in the back of the current issue and you will see a list of recent (1-3 years) articles on washing machines. Pull those issues from the shelf and see what C.R. has to say and what they recommend.
I've haven't paid attention recently, but from past experience I'd guess that Maytag will be highly rated but rather expensive. Whirlpool may be about half the price of the Maytag and just as reliable. That's my guess; the magazine will have the facts.
Gideon
anything KENMORE!
--

"Ed" < snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:W_sWd.42$M snipped-for-privacy@fe08.lga...

I don't put too much stock in anything CR has to say. That may be their business, but from some of the reports I've seen, they don't know much about products as they espouse. I saw their rating on bicycles a few years ago. Everything they said was "better" was only "better" for a person that likes to ride around the block. A serious rider would be getting injuries and lots of uncomfortable rides with some of the products they suggested. I'm not sure where you would go to look at various washers, but I would try to find an association that deals with a specific appliance and see what kind of reviews they have to offer. A trade rag of somekind might be the best place to find help. Even a technicians monthly would give you a better idea. B
We've had a Whirlpool top loader for 15 yrs now and its still going, not on all four cylinders, but still washes clothes. B

Speaking of cylinders and washing machines. When I was a kid - in 1952 - we had a gasoline powered washing machine on the back porch that had a two cylinder engine. You started it with a pedal very much like a motor cycle. It ran several hours every Monday morning - wash day. Harry
I used to have one of the older Maytag models that had a reputation for lasting forever. Well that was easy because it hardly agitated compared to other brands. I got rid of it after a few years. Replaced it with a direct drive Kenmore made by Whirlpool. Unfortunately it only lasted 5 years. Sears offered to pay for labor if I bought a new transmission. Transmission went because the seal went which is in the agitator under water level. I went with a Maytag front loader which has been going fine for 8 years but is expensive.
wrote