Washing machine tub - porcelain coated, plastic, stainless

Is there any particular advantage to a porcelain coated tub in a washing machine vs plastic or stainless? Seems plastic and stainless would have the edge since they never rust.
On 13/04/10 8:58 AM, muzician21 wrote:

Stick with stainless. Avoid plastic and porcelain coated at all cost.

What's wrong with plastic?
In article

Yeah, I used to have a Maytag washer that lasted 26 yrs (1973 to 1999), with only a controller change in year 18 ($70) and a small 3" hose replacement and the washer had a plastic tub. Worked great, they just don't make them like that anymore.
MacGuy
--
The Guy

Over time, plastics tend to, become brittle, and crack. They are rust proof on the plus side and will last a long time, but maybe not as longs as the rest of the parts. My first choice is SS. Take a look at Amana and Maytag as well as the rest of the Whirpool line.

Porcelain is, or do you really mean enamel? Resists chemical and is good a long as it does not nick. Stainless can show rust over time. Dionized water can harm it. Plastic can warp.
greg
On Apr 13, 2:02pm, snipped-for-privacy@zekfrivolous.com (GregS) wrote:

Stainless is the way to go.

And it always does.

Do you really have DI water coming out of your tap? Cool. I just have regular chlorinated water from the Great Lakes.

Cindy Hamilton
On Apr 13, 2:02pm, snipped-for-privacy@zekfrivolous.com (GregS) wrote:

I'm sure enamel. The speckled tank coating that's been used on washers forever. The reason I'm not trying to once again resurrect my 70's era Hotpoint that the transmission went out on is the rust-through on some of the drain holes. I might gut it and try to Ebay the timer.
I've got a lead on a not too used Whirlpool Signature series washer & dryer for under $200 for the pair, the only thing is the washer has an enamel tank.

I took a look at it, I could see early signs of rusting at some of the drain holes. The washer is supposed to be around 3 years old. Is this just the way all enameled tanks get as they age? My old one was actually leaving spots on the clothes if they sat in there for any length of time after the wash cycle ended which is why I'm shying away from an enameled tank.