Washing machine sour smell

Does anyone know how to get rid of a sour smell in a washing machine? It's only there when we do a load of laundry (during the cycle) and it leaves our clothes smelling slightly sour. I've tried pouring a whole bottle of white vinegar in and running it on empty with hot water, and the same thing with bleach instead. Neither worked. It's to the point now that it stinks up the whole house when we wash clothes. Is there anything else we can try or something we can do to the washer to fix this? Where would this sour smell be coming from, since it's not there unless we wash clothes. The water from our taps does not smell odd at all. I'm ready to get a new washing machine if I can't get it to go away.

TIA,

Dawn

Reply to
Dawn

A scoop of baking soda per load works for me.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Thanks, Eric. I think we're getting a new washer. That probably sounds insane, but this washer came with the house (it was a model home, so not sure if it was ever used) and I've never liked it anyway. We've had it for five years. The next washer will be better cared for and a better brand (this one's a GE).

Dawn

Reply to
Dawn

uh.. that's water backing up in it from somewhere

you've got a drainage problem

Reply to
chili palmer

could be the washer pump letting water back in

does your tub or toilet or anything take on any extra water during the wash cycle?

my bath tub fills up about half way then goes back down... that's just my main drain not being large enough.. so my tub acts as a buffer

it really soiunds like your wash machine is getting sour water reflux its coming back in through the pump..

how else? you soaked it down in bleach

Reply to
chili palmer