Washing machine repair

Have an 8 year old Maytag clothes washer that is leaking where the drive shaft goes into the tub. Looking at the Sears parts site, it seems it might need a new shaft seal, which sells for about $70. To get at it, you have to take off the top of the washer and the inner tub. I took off the agitator but it wasn't clear how everything comes apart.

Called a few repair places, but they wouldn't give me a ball park figure for taking the machine apart to replace the seal. The want to charge $50 to come out and see where it goes from there. Given the amount of work to take apart the machine, seems to me it might cost a couple of hundred dollars. (Does this seem right?) With a replacement washer costing about $500, it wouldn't be worth the cost to repair it, even though the rest of the machine looks OK.

Thought?

Thanks.

Ken

Reply to
KenM

Hi,

Model#??

model# helps.

If your mystery washer is a Dependable Care style Maytag, this will give you an idea what is involved...

Usually best to repalce under water seal kit and tub bearing at the same time! The bearing can rust and tear the seal.

If it is a Depenable Care style washer, definetly worth the repair as this washer will often go 12-15 years easily....none of the new ones will likely last that long.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

I'm facing a similar decision on my Maytag washer. The transmission seized up. I was able to free it up by rocking the pulley back and forth and it is now working fine. I talked to a service tech about it and he said that it might last a day or it might last five years, depending on what caused the seizure. Cost to repair is about $400 parts + labor to replace the transmission and associated seals.

I've decided to just ride it out until it stops working and then replace it with a $300 cheapie washer. If I get ten trouble free years from the cheapie I'll be doing better than I did with the Maytag. Now days it's a crap-shoot.

Reply to
Vic Dura

When mine started that I dropped a Muncie 4 speed and Hurst shifter in it. Oh, and I also upgraded to an explosion resistant bell housing.

Reply to
G Henslee

Well thanks Jeff, the web site is very informative - I didn't know about it.

Yes, it is a Dependable Care model. Looks like the parts are about $115. If I attempt it myself, I would expect to triple your work hours, so it could take 2-4 hours. (The price of inexperience!) Or pay an appliance repair guy maybe $100+ for labor.

Given your life expectancy of the washer, it could be worth it. However I also experienced the transmission seize up problem once, that was mentioned by another responder. (What's that burning smell wafting through the house? Oh it's the belt slipping on the seized transmission!) Never happened again, but who knows how long the transmission will last now.

It's not leaking that much. Maybe I'll just get a pan to put under the washer and see what happens. Decisions, decisions.

Ken

Reply to
KenM

G'day,

Tranny has a 10 year parts warranty, and it comes with new seal kit...likely would need a Maytag Authorized repair depot install it but the cost to you would be labour and the tub bearing only!! Worth thinking about! :)

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Really?

Jeff, I have a Maytag washing machine that I bought used about 25 years ago. It's a model A-206. It's pretty much a plain jane machine but it is a workhorse. I little noisy perhaps but still works like a champ. It looks like something from the 60's.

I've never had a problem with it in that 25 years except losing a clip that held the front panel on. Not being able to find the right clip locally, I used sheet metal screws to hold it together.

Are you saying the newer ones will never last as well as the old models? Dumb question I suppose.

The little woman has mentioned a time or two that she'd like a new one. It's not too stylish looking.

I have a hard time with that. It's kind of a sentimental thing. I kid you not, I paid FIFTEEN dollars for it.

Thoughts?

Reply to
3rd eye

Maytag near me charges $125 just to install an under warranty dishwasher motor which is a friction fit after removing about 12 screws. I think he should dump the washer and buy a different brand. Oh, by the way, the new motor is made in China and noisier than the old one it replaced.

Reply to
Art

I had a Maytag bought new in around 1987. Maybe it is supposed to be reliable but I thought it sucked and sold it. Agitation was weak and the rinse cycle was so short I really didn't think it had time to mix the clothes around in the clean water to get the soap out. I could design a reliable washing machine too if the agitator just sat there and did nothing.

Reply to
Art

yikes, that is a pretty bad repair record for a washer that is apparently not at the end of its service life

ever thought about getting a whirlpool (aka kitchen aid, roper) I have three of them, all different vintages and have not had any troubles.

and when I eventually do have a problem with them, the common issues are cheap and easy for a DIY

just an idea if you decide to replace it!

Reply to
cowboy

Yupper.

Yupper :( Most today will last 5-8 year.

Keep this one running as long as possible, it is the style of washer Maytag built thier name on.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

My problem is slightly different. We continue to have a black oil smear on our clothes while washing. After removing the agitator, cleaning that shaft area, the substance continues to leak thru the seal during washing. Can the seal be replaced? If so, how? Or does the whole bearing shaft need replacing?

Reply to
roger