Washing Machine Repair

My sis's washing machine is malfunctioning, and I boasted that I could solve the problem.

When there is a load of laundry, the machine agitates, but won't pump out the water to begin spinning. This happens no matter what cycle it is on: permanent press, Gentle, &c. I asked her if she left the control alone to see if it would go through the complete cycle, even if it didn't empty the tub and she said she hadn't. If knowing this is a necessary clue, I'll ask her to do it.

The machine is a Kenmore, series 80.

What is likely to be wrong? Just a broken pump, or a controller of some sort.

Reply to
Charles Bishop

The first thing I would check is the door lid switch. If that's OK, it sounds like the water pump is not working or clogged, and in turn thats why it does not spin. I'm not familiar with Kenmore, but most washers have an external pump thats easy to get at, but you will have to remove the hose connected to it and drain out the water in the tub, so have a shallow pan handy.

Reply to
Mikepier

dOES IT sound like it's doing something? I think in my case, all that was wrong was the output hose was kinked. It was a little twisted for

10 years, and at some point it kinked and little if any water came out. Pull it away from the wall and try some more.

Well you don't say how old the mahcine is but my 29 y.o. and I think all the ones with mechanical controls, will spin when there is water in the tub. This doesn't make the laundry very dry however. Even electopnic controls might work that way, but I doubt it.

Doesn't that only stop agitating and spinning? It might vary with year, which theOP didn't say, didn't say if it was electronic contrrols or mechanical. (I'm not going to look up a model number)

Reply to
mm

Do some diagnostics at

Many possibilities, bad pump, belt drive, bad solenoid on the drain valve.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Charles,

I believe that the water pump on those Sears machines is a seperate, small, electric motor. I'd check to see if voltage is getting to the motor during the "drain" cycle. I'd also check to see if the motor is working. If you have power and the motor spins then look for a blockage in a hose. Here's some advice on taking the machine apart.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Check the lid safety switch. Also check to see if the machine is level.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks to you and to others as well. It was the lid safety switch. She's checking the repair site given to see if she can figure out how to replace the switch. Until then, she has the machine fooled into thinking that the door is closed.

Thanks again, she's glad it was something simple. I didn't have time to look at it when I was there, and probably wouldn't have thought to suspect the switch.

Reply to
Charles Bishop