Washing Machine Ready to Die?

Hey all,
Our 12 year old washing machine (Amana) has a funny smell after the initial step of water filling the tank and during the agitation process (step before Rinse Cycle). Frankly, it smells like sewer. Funny because I thought I would smell more of a burnt smell if the motor is going, but it smells like sewer.
Initially, I thought it was a water or pipe problem but it is not the water that smells at all, it seems like the odor starts when the agitiation (washing) starts. It is not making any funny noises and still cleans well however.
Is my machine ready to die? What could this be?
Thanks in advance, John

Poopy diapers, underwear?

All those single missing socks?
On 7 Jul 2006 10:28:02 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com"

It could be any of the electronics or it could be the belt overheating.
Tilt it back and see if you can touch the belt in between cycles.

Please un-plug it first.
Bob