Washing Machine Questions ?

Hello,

Sr. Citizen now, very, and researching all of this is a bit difficult. Would appreciate any thoughts on:

Need a front loading washing machine, probably no bigger than about 3.7 cu feet.

Door must have the provision to be hinged on either side.

And of course the normal things like reliability, good reputation, etc.

Any suggestions, please ?

BTW: are there any good sites that go into all of this ? None of them that I've found discuss door hinging, etc.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Why don't you head to your nearest appliance store and talk with a sales person there? What have you looked at already and what have you done research on before coming here? I will say I don't think you're going to find any washing machine that the door can be hinged on either side.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

I would never consider a front loader...it there is any problem at all with the door it will leak.

That said I recommend Whirlpool. Mine is close to 30 years old and has never once had a problem....but I don't suppose they built them like that anymore.

The only advice I can give is to not waste money on fancy electronic controls. The washer will cost twice and much to purchase or repair and sure won't get your clothes any cleaner.

Reply to
philo

Don't buy Samsung.

Reply to
Meanie

Hi Bob. Welcome to the < occasionally > home repair group. What washer are you using now ?

Do you really need the left-right door ? To my knowledge, the only major North American brand with this feature is Electrolux - not a bad choice, though.

I recently bought a front load washer - 4 - 5 cu ft was the common size available - the little European makes were all about 2.5 ... a bit small for bedding loads.

Our new LG takes about 90 minutes ! .. often longer ! for an average load. It's computerized controls will not allow you to be in control - - __ it controls you ! __ - Uuggghh ! totally ridiculous - it will start a load "measuring it " and provide you with a 1 hour 27 minute time setting - that will likely take ~ 2 hours ... geeesh. The clothes will be subjected to ~ 12 minutes of "agitating " before the load is even all wet ! I am the one who is most agitated ! I shopped for old-time controls - Huebsch - was the only brand I could find - almost $ 3,000.00 Canadian ... .. that's just the washer - not a pair. So I went for the LG .. sorry to say. My old washer was a Frigidaire Gallery front load 3.5 cu ft - not computerized - and served very well for about 13 -14 years. I do like the high spin speeds on the newer machines - it saves dryer time - big time. < sorry for the long rant > John T.

Reply to
hubops

I've had no problems with my Samsung.

Don't by LG.

Reply to
Mark Storkamp

I have a 5-year-old Whirlpool Cabrio top-loader. Bought it so I don't have to bend over to load/unload. Works great, no repairs so far.

The only other brand I would even consider is a Speed Queen.

Reply to
Barry

Front Loaders With Reversible Doors:

DerbyDad03

My dryer had problems with heating and rattling after it was first purchased. They replaced the circuit board and heating was fine after that. The rattling was gone but continued to return even after they replaced some internal parts. They tried again to fix and it would work then return. After a year, the warranty was up and they tried to tell me I had to pay for the repairs. I said it was ongoing and never properly repaired from the first time as it has always returned. They refused to come back out and I'm not paying for it.

The washer is working fine but I'm disappointed with the bleach reservoir. It has a plastic molding placed inside the so called bowl. The metal around the perimeter of the plastic molding is rusty. I have cleaned a few times but it returns. IMO, they didn't use the proper finish to avoid the rust.

I won't buy Samsung again, except maybe their TV.

Reply to
Meanie

Yep - just as I said - only Electrolux has the reversible door. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Just a quick thanks to John T., and everyone for advice and comments. Much appreciated.

Seems like nothing is ever simple.

Think I'll just find a nearby stream, and two big rocks !

Bob

Reply to
Bob

That stream may be polluted. Don't trust it.

We use a porcelain washer in the bathroom. it is round you only do small loads and have to hold them while it washes or you can lose the item. Just put it in the bowl and hold with one had while you hit the handle with the other. The rush of water just sucks the dirt out and down the drain. Uses no electricity so it is very efficient.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski