Washing Machine Question?

My washer lid switch burned out today and it's gonna take a week to get one I ordered.My question is can I take and use a jumper wire to bypass the switch?( untill the other one arrives)

Th anks In Advance! Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

thats what I did , my machine works.

Reply to
m Ransley

That would likely depend on what brand of washer you have, its exact model and what switch it uses. Generally it is not a good idea to bypass a safety device except for the limited purpose of testing (not use). On some designs of washers (mostly Frigidaire built), doung so could damage the motor.

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Thanks for the info.I'll go for it. Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

Hi,

Model#??

model# helps.

What is the part# you ordered?

On some styles of washers you won't hurt the washer by bypassing the lid switch until the new part arrives, on some style the lid switch is in series with the drive motor and it -could- damage other things. A lid switch is a safety device and is *normally* only bypassed for testing purposes.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

The part # I ordered is 417.13410180 from sears $41.99 plus$8.99 S&H.Kenmore(Electrolux)Ifyou think it will destroy the motor I won't bypass it.Thanks Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

I don't understand how it could hurt the motor if you operate the washing machine like it is supposed to be operated, i.e, the lid is always down when the machine is started or stopped. Lid down closes the switch, so how can shorting it be any different that just having the lid closed?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Good Grief! For $50 I would cobble up my own switch for $10 (or repair the damaged one). You can buy a whole machine for the price of 6 of those switches. I'm always amazed at the cost of these little parts; probably cost $3 wholesale.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

That's odd. I went to the sears site and that number (417.13410180) isn't listed as a model number or a part number. I tried my washer model #110.82873120 (Whirlpool), and the lid switch is listed for only $16.49 plus tax & shipping. Wonder why yours would be more? Must be Electrolux vs. Whirlpool pricing.

Reply to
Steve Newman

Hi,

That -looks- more like a possible model# would looke like. A Fridiaire built Kenmore, on these the heater inside the lid switch is in series with the motor, it is not normally a good idea to bypass this type of a set up for any length of time....sorry!

The 417.######## is like a model#. The part# is likely 134101800

lock w/external safety switch

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

I guess I best don't use the washer in bypass.I thought the switch was too expensive also.Thanks for all the input. Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

Yup!!

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Thanks again for the info.I didn't have any trouble finding out the switch was bad this time it was melted.You were right it had a heater on the inside.Later Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift