Washing Machine Problem

Hi!

I have a Kenmore portable washing machine that is about 2 to 3 years old. The problem I'm having with it is that it doesn't spin or agitate anymore. It pumps the water in and out, but the washer spins extremely slowly.

I flipped the washer over to check the belt, and that is alright. I took the belt off the motor and turned it on, and the motor spun without any problems. Put the belt back on, started the machine back up, and it spins the washer a very little bit. There's also this little solenoid that moves this peg back and forth through the different cycles, which works fine.

I tried going to the bookstore tonight to find a repair book, but they had nothing. I've tried search the web, and I found some of the descriptions, but just don't know the specifics for the model I have. Just wondering if anybody has any ideas of what to look for on this.

Thanks in advance...

Reply to
wiz561

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news:1155176950.689275.57810 @i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Bad Fluid clutch?

Reply to
Dave M.

Don't know. It's not leaking any oil, so I'm guessing that would happen if it was bad.

I was looking at a bunch of web sites last night and read something about how if you noticied some white or black shavings around where the motor is, it might be the motor coupler. Does anybody know if this model has a motor coupler? I *think* it might be in the motor assembly, but not 100% sure.

Thanks for the info!

Dave M. wrote:

Reply to
wiz561

If it has a belt, I don't believe it has a coupler. If I remember correctly, these machines had some unusual kind of transmission. They would start to spin at the same time as they pumped the water out, would spin a little, then stop for a time and then start to spin again. Might do this several times until they got all of the water out. All of this to avoid having to have a way of locking out the transmission and running the pump only. I believe you said that it was pumping the water out but wouldn't spin, so it would seem the pump part is ok but perhaps the transmission is not. On the other hand, there may be a sensor/switch that is supposed to tell the machine that all of the water is gone and that it is now ok to spin full speed and that may be bad. Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G

I am guessing that what you have is a "World Washer" which is the basic portable that is manufactured by Whirlpool for Kenmore. This platform was originally designed to be adapted to different locales throughout the world, thus the name. They aren't a whole lot of fun to work on, because there is little access beside looking underneath. They also have a lot of electronics, and a lot of non-standard parts, unique to that platform.

Agitation is entirely motor driven. The motor reverses swiftly to give agitation action. Spin is activated when the brake is released. I hope this info helps.

I think that the lid switch must be closed to get agitation and spin. Have you checked that?

Reply to
nospamtodd