Washing machine: plumbing question

I'm going to put a washer/dryer into a spare room. One wall is shared with a bathroom so i've got a drain and water in that wall. Can I use a T-adapter to connect a standpipe into the drain? or is there another standard procedure for taping into a sink drain with a washing machine.
I would use a Y connector to tap into the bathroom sink drain.
anonymous wrote:

This is not so simple a problem as one might imagine. Because of the large flow from the washer, the connection must be made directly into the stack (3" or 4" likely). AND....the connection must be made *below* where the toilet (and maybe other fixtures) tie in. That's because the flow from the washer will try to suction the water out of the toilet trap if connected above.
Next, the connection will need a P-trap to prevent sewer gas from escaping into the laundry room. AND...the P-trap will need a vent line to protect its water from being siphoned by, say, the toilet flow. (You *may* be allowed to use a mechanical vent).
Wanna be covered and assured it's done right? Call the city bldg dep't for advice on their specific requirements.
Jim