Washing Machine Overflows

Hi!
I have an old Speed Queen washing machine. It still works fine, but my problem with it is that recently, if the water level is set to the highest on the dial, the washer overflows. This happens when the machine is filling up before anything else.
I took it apart yesterday and made sure that the tubing to the pressure switch was fine, which it was. I then removed the tubing, used an ohm meter to check the switch. The switch is fine, so I put everything back together.
I was wondering if anybody has an idea of what to look at next. Thanks in advanced for any help!!
Mike

I'm not sure what a pressure switch would do, since water level would most likely be measured via a float. This is a guess based only on reading that a float of some sort is the way dishwashers know when enough water's been allowed in.

Please do a little research before opening your mouth on things you don't have any idea about.
Most washing machines do have pressure switches that control when the water stops. As the water rises up in a tube it compresses the air in it and that activates a pressure switch that stops the incomming water.
http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/appliance/washer/check/waterlevel.php

I said it was a guess, which you pretended not to notice.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote in message

Some people are just born rude. :-)
Cheri
Thank you for the responses...but does anybody else have any other ideas? :-)
I ran through that pressure switch test with my ohm meter yesterday and it passed.
Thanks, Mike
On Sep 16, 11:43 am, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:

Did you check the tube for leakage either at the connection to the ps or damage to the tube itself?
FMB (North Mexico)
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You could try taking the tube loose from the pressure switch and blowing it out. Occasionally crud will block the opening at the other end. Sometimes you have to run hot water through the tubing to clear it hardened lint and such. Sometimes the mechanical switch assembly is just plain worn out and no longer in calibration.
[8~{} Uncle Monster
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: : Hi! : : I have an old Speed Queen washing machine. It still works fine, but : my problem with it is that recently, if the water level is set to the : highest on the dial, the washer overflows. This happens when the : machine is filling up before anything else. : : I took it apart yesterday and made sure that the tubing to the : pressure switch was fine, which it was. I then removed the tubing, : used an ohm meter to check the switch. The switch is fine, so I put : everything back together. : : I was wondering if anybody has an idea of what to look at next. : Thanks in advanced for any help!! : : Mike
Mike
Try cutting off the last 1/4 inch of pressure hose at the switch and reconnecting it. The new end will fit snugger and eliminate the chance there was a leak there. If it still overflows, most pressure switches have an adjusting screw you can tweak to change the water level.
Larry