Washing Machine Overflow

I started my Washing machine and left, and when I came back the basement was practically flooded. I cut everything off and opened the lid and the basket was full of water. It also looked as if no water had been discharged thru the exhaust pipe.
On one of the posts someone said there was a float that controlled the water level (which makes sense), but I can't find it.
The washer is a Whirlpool Gold Ultimate Care II Heavy duty super capacity Plus Quiet Wash II (but I can't find the model number).
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Bill Donovan
Bill Donovan wrote:

basement was

basket
thru
the water

capacity
Hi,
capacity
You may need it! http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html Some model# helps.

the water

No float, but usually has a water level control....some info on that and possible flooding trouble makers.... http://www.applianceaid.com/washer_overfilling.html http://www.applianceaid.com/generalwash.html#WLC