Washing Machine not agitating

Hi Folks, My washing machine is not agitating. What can I check for before sending in a repairman ? There doesn't appear to be anything wrapped around the agitator.
Thanks Dick
Remove the agitator, see if the cogs are stripped. It happened to the old one I had, the parts were cheap (10 bucks or so).
Hi,
Washer make, model#, approx age ?
Washer is running but not agitating...sitting there dead instead of agitating?
Too little info :(
Mine does the same thing if I leave the lid up. Maybe something with the safety switch for the lid?