Washing Machine noise during spin cycle

Hi,

Our Kenmore 80 series washing machine is starting to make a loud noise during the spin cycle. It's hard to describe - kind of a cyclical noise. Sounds like a belt problem to me but I don't really know much about these thinks.

The machine is probably 5 years old.

Any ideas what might be the cause? Is it worth repairing or is it time for a new machine?

Thanks in advance, Steve

Reply to
szeik

If you had a repair manual in front of you, specific to that exact machine, how likely is it you'd fix it yourself?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

And another question: Do you have a decent public library system nearby?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

I could probably handle it but would rather call a repair man to save time and aggravation of doing it myself.

Steve

Reply to
szeik

When that happened to mine the cause was a loose levelling leg. The welded-on nut that this leg screwed into had parted from its weld. The fix was to drill a new hole for the leg and secure the leg with a washer and nut on both sides of the appliance's frame. The fix was good for the last 15 years and the washing machine works just fine.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

I would also check the leveling screws. If an upright machine, it could just be a wash load imbalance where spinning interior hits sides. Our old machine does it and we just have to level out load. Frank

Reply to
Frank

IMHO:

5 years? Look under the machine, do you see any staining? I'm guessing you might want the gear box checked, and refilled if need be.

Shouldn't cost much, I hope since mine is 4 years old. ;) But fill us in what you do, please.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great