Washing Machine leak?!

My son just got back from a 10 day backpacking trip in New Mexico. His clothes were black with dirt.
After she washed them (in our 10 year old Magic Chef", my wife ran a load of water and clorox on "gentle" to clean the washing machine.
I then found that water was leaking down into the basement, and found that the washing machine was on "spin", but wasn't spinning. I turned it off, and on. It slowly spun. It was partly full of water. I bailed most of the water out and tried again. After that I turned it on again. After humming for a few minutes it suddenly started working properly.
I put the towels in that I used to clean up the leak and tried a load of laundry. It ran okay for a few minutes, and then started humming on moving sluggishly. I moved it to "spin". It was like the last time.
What do I do? Is it worth calling a repairman in on a 10 year old machine? Thanks much.

It may just be a worn out belt, but at the cost of service calls these days you would spend over a third of the cost of a complete new machine on the repair.
You know what I'd do, skip the repair and fast forward to new. If you have Lowe's and Home Depot in your area they a battling for that business!!
Tom J

days
It started working again, so I told my wife to try a load. I meant a few items and set on "low", but she filled it right up. It ran for a few minutes, squealed a couple times and then started running slowly again. A bad belt?
But why does it also leak? It started leaking again (though this time I put a bucket and a tarp down first)

have
You're right. Transmissions blow grease all over the interior, not the motor. A blown transmission is not worth fixing. -B