Washing machine is not spinning round

This just happened all of a sudden. The drum in the machine won't spin around at any time during the cycle although a whole wash cycle will perform basically just filling up with water and emptying it again. I looked inside it and there seems to be some sparks coming from the motor? Also sometimes I did manage to get it spinnning for about 10 seconds after a nudge but then it stopped again.

Do you think I would need to buy a whole new motor for this or would it maybe be something inside it that is sparking and could be replaced much cheaper?

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
gooshto

Water + electricity/sparks is a big no-no! Unplug the machine and walk away from it. From the character of your question, it doesn't sound like you have the know how and experience to tackle a repair on something like this.

If the machine is a high end model newer than about five or six years, it might be worth getting a repair guy out. Count on a bill of $65-75 just to come out and look/diagnose the problem and at least $150 to fix about anything--- much more if it's the motor.

Consider a trip to Sears or Home Depot where a new washing machine can be had for under $300. All current model machines clean clothes well. $400 will buy you one with a few bells and whistles and $600+ will get you one that washes your clothes clean and whistles Dixie while it does so...

S1

Reply to
Savvy 1

Hi,

Washer make, model#?

model# helps.

Motor switch or wire connector may be required....hopefully not the whole motor but you never know.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Old Kenmore? Are you sure it isn't just the wig wag sparking?

The motor is a FRU. No smaller parts to replace.

Reply to
gfretwell

Hey everyone thanks very much for replying. the model is Hotpoint

95452.

I've actually been very lucky and got a guy out to fix it. He replaced two black rectangel square looking things (spark plugs or something?) inside the motor and it's all fine again now. Total charge $35 which I think it amazing! Well you never know what you don't have till it's gone and a washing machine is pretty essential I tells ya! Especially in a tiny apartment.

Thanks again for replying. I was asking just incase it was something maybe simple I could've fixed. Maybe I could fix spark plugs (if that's what they were) but the price of repair was cheap enough I could afford not to risk my life this time around :)

Reply to
gooshto