Washing machine is noisy

Friend's washing machine makes racket while in the wash cycle. Kind of a thumping. Ideas?
Lou
Based on the information you provided, I would suggest you just unplug it.

Do they know where the cat is?
Lou wrote:

Lou,
Hire somebody to write your posts who's smart enough to tell us whether it's top or front loading machine and what size load is in it when the noise occurs.
But if you want an educated guess, if it's a top loading machine, I'd say that one of the suspension centering springs has broken.
Good luck,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Was only looking for educated guesses:-)) So thank you.
If it is a suspension centering spring what might cost be to get fixed.
Lou
Lou wrote:

Now, with that "get fixed" grammer of yours I think we're back to wondering about that darned cat again, so why don't you just call a spayed a spayed? <G>
Once again, insufficient information for much of an answer.
Does your friend live in downtown Manhattan or McCook, Nebraska? Service call rates do vary a lot with geography you know.
The "cost" to get it fixed if it's just a broken spring would be whatever is being charged for about a half hour long service call in your neck of the woods plus maybe $15 to $35 for parts, depending on how honorable/greedy the repair service is.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

If the owner lives in downtown Manhattan, he should hire the repair guy from McCook, Nebraska. I'm sure his labor rates are much cheaper.
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Say Jeff;
You are very funny. You bitch about the posts and then give very good info! Thanks again.
Lou Dumb luck beats all the planning in the world.

Not much info to go on, but if it's a top loading machine with the ratcheting, spiraling center column on the agitator, that could be normal as they always make a certain degree of thumping noise. However, if it is much louder than when the machine was new and if it's a GE, and if it's become very loud during the spin cycle, it could be a transmission or tub bearing problem.
Tom G.
Tom G wrote:

Thanks, I will do some more checking.
Lou

Cherry pit?
Noozer wrote:

Nope. nor a cat (alive or dead).
LOL
Mike1975 had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Washing-machine-is-noisy-226306-.htm : You could try installing some sort of vibration isolation pad like Silent Feet and then leveling the machine. That usually works to eliminate most noise. I got my Silent Feet from Amazon.com but you can also get them at www.vibrationsolution.com/onlinestore.html
-Mike

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 320832 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##