Washing machine inlet - loud annoying whine!

Hi,

I have a Bosch Aqua-Star W1000 washing machine, and the water stop by the inlet tap has developed a very loud (and annoying) whine. I have uploaded a video of it to Youtube ('SDC11523 - YouTube'

) - does anyone know how to fix it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sorry if this is poorly phrased - first post on this forum...

Kind regards,

Jim

Reply to
jimster

Don't worry about your phrasing.

Hang out in a.h.r long enough and it will get worser and worser.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Jim:

I can't watch your video because I'm on dial-up and it takes forever to download videos for me.

But, it sounds to me like either the rubber washer (if there is one) in the water shut off valve to the machine is loose and vibrating, or one of the rubber diaphragms in the water mixing valve is vibrating. I'm thinking that if the noise made by the water mixing valve inside the washer is bouncing off the wall behind the washer, it could sound like it's coming from the water shut-off valves.

Two things to note:

  1. The way to pinpoint the source of noises in machinery (like a washing machine) is with an inexpensive tool called a "mechanic's stethoscope", which will cost between and at any place that sells tools:

[image:

You just wear them on your head, and the noise you hear through the "headphones" will be loudest when you're touching the metal probe to the part that's actually making the noise.

  1. Washing machines use something called a "mixing valve" to allow hot water, cold water, or both to flow into the machine during the wash and rinse cycles. The way these mixing valves work is that they actually use the water pressure itself to stop the flow into the washing machine. It's a very reliable system, but it can be screwed up by dirt in the water, like rust and sand.

What I would do is:

a. While the machine is filling on a WARM WASH setting, close the hot and cold water supply valves to the washer individually to see whether the hot or cold side is making the noise. If the noise changes or stops when you close the cold water supply valve, then it's the cold water side that's making the noise. Ditto for the hot side.

b. Shut the water off to your house or laundry room, and take the cartridge out of the water shut off valve on the side that's making the noise (if it has a cartride). Confirm that the screw that holds the rubber washer is in tight.

c. Take the hose to the washing machine off on the side that's making noise and check the screen washer in the end of the hose to ensure it's not clogged up with crap. The screens will either be brass or stainless steel and you can buy replacement screened hose washers at any hardware store or appliance parts store.

d. If you still come up empty, then I would buy a mechanic's stethoscope and check the mixing valve in the washer to see if the whine is coming from there. If so, replace the mixing valve. (Some appliance companies used to sell overhaul kits for their washer mixing valves, but I don't think they're available anymore.) Expect to pay between $20 and $30 for a new water mixing valve for your washer.

Reply to
nestork

Your water stop sounds like it is failing, that "whine" is the valve within it or the gasket on that valve modulating in the water flow...

Replace it with a new one as it is not likely to do what it is intended to do and stop the water from flowing if your hose bursts...

Reply to
Evan

A wooden or metal stick works just about as well as an actual stethescope and is a LOT cheaper.

Reply to
hrhofmann